CMS Development

KeyWestScott
Key Advisor

New Hubspot Site Search functionality

SOLVE

Greetings all.  For those that may not have seen it yet, HS Has a new Site Search function.

My 2cents thus far. 

It only displays/returns 3 options for any search..  I find this extremely limiting and narrow.  What if what I'm looking for isn't in those 3????  Remember variety is the spice of life.

Next, how does HS decide that those are the 3 best? Most viewed? Most clicks? Lowest bounce rate?  Least number of spelling errors?  What???????

What is being indexed?  From what I've discovered so far, it is not your full site, but seems to be limited to only the H1and H2, and maybe H3 tags.  So, if your word ( or your customers ) aren't H1-3, they are out of luck.

I'd really like to see this module really developed and made truly useful.  As it stands now, it's  not even useful for our in-house people to use.

Key West Scott

1 Accepted solution
edjusten
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @KeyWestScott   Thanks for the great feedback! Let me address some of your concerns. 

It only displays/returns 3 options for any search.

The pre-search preview only shows three results a time - search itself will return anything that matches the results.

Next, how does HS decide that those are the 3 best?

The algorhythm is based on page view (see doc linked below).

What is being indexed? 

Right now we only index Web Pages and Blog Posts. User testing showed that most people didn't want their LPs indexed. However, in the hands of a developer, this could be changed (developer docs here). We also do full text matching, so regardless of whether the keyword is in the title, meta description, or body, we'll find it and index it. 

Please let me know if you have further questions. 

Thank you,

Ed Justen

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
edjusten
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @KeyWestScott   Thanks for the great feedback! Let me address some of your concerns. 

It only displays/returns 3 options for any search.

The pre-search preview only shows three results a time - search itself will return anything that matches the results.

Next, how does HS decide that those are the 3 best?

The algorhythm is based on page view (see doc linked below).

What is being indexed? 

Right now we only index Web Pages and Blog Posts. User testing showed that most people didn't want their LPs indexed. However, in the hands of a developer, this could be changed (developer docs here). We also do full text matching, so regardless of whether the keyword is in the title, meta description, or body, we'll find it and index it. 

Please let me know if you have further questions. 

Thank you,

Ed Justen

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
martaz
Participant

SOLVE

hello,

Can you give me any infomation about how LP pages could be included in site search? I guess since they are not being indexed it's not a matter of applying a filter of some sort?

Is there a way to filter search results based on the page type -  blog page vs. website pages?

Thank You, Marta

0 Upvotes
KeyWestScott
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@martaz That would be a good one for a call to Support.  I've not seen anything that passes a paramater for inclusion of one type of property or another.  I've never tried looking for a LP, so never gave it a thought.  If you get an answer, please repost here.

Thanks.

Scott

0 Upvotes
martaz
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks I will. My general  concern is that I want users to be able to easily search website resources on various topics. Topics could be website pages about the product the site is selling, blogs about timely news, issues, and events...and whitepapers, webinars, and videos all of which exist as CTA's with linked landing pages. 

I believe I have seen an article about using the blog module to organize resource content -as well.

However, I am trying to balance potential development time with user and admin efficiency.

0 Upvotes
martaz
Participant

SOLVE

UPDATE

After finding some additional info.

https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/content/search-for-content

I was able to target my search using hidden inputs.

<input type="hidden" name="type" value="LANDING_PAGE">

<input type="hidden" name="type" value="BLOG_POST">
<input type="hidden" name="pathPrefix" value="resources">

For example, to search only landing and blog pages you can use "type".

One issue that comes up is avoiding thank you pages. To accomplish this you can use the "pathPrefix" to limit the search to a directory. Unfortunately this means I will have to change my current directory structure to achieve what I am looking for.

From my initial experiments, this approach seems to work. (It looks like you can also use HubDB but I am not familiar with that.)

If anyone has any other suggestions let me know!

0 Upvotes
KeyWestScott
Key Advisor

SOLVE

In rethinking this..  And I could be off  the mark on this. Is that for the general public, searching for and finding a LP, may really be irrevelent and/or off topic.  They are, as we use them anyways, are not for general consumption.  So, having them come up in a search may not be a means to present relatable and relevant information.

Now, on the other hand, and for  the time being, we're only using the search for internal use.  Having any of our management find topics, pages, blogs from anywhere on our site IS important.

Once HS refines the tool some more, we may change our position and make the search one for public use.

Scott

0 Upvotes
annaliseo
Participant

SOLVE

We'd love to use this new search tool seamlessly across our site—any chance this site search be set up to crawl a WordPress site as well? We have our blog and landing pages hosted on HubSpot, and our main site on WordPress.

0 Upvotes
KeyWestScott
Key Advisor

SOLVE

The "Presearch" vs real search????  So, then how do we get the real search results to show?  While it's nice to have the 3 most popular pages displayed, you're or our customers are missing out on the rest of the site and what it may have to offer. 

Imagine if Google/Bing/etc only displayed the first 3 most popular results and nothing else????  No content would ever be found.

As to what's being searched on, on our site, I have to disagree.  I have searched for terms that are body test, and no search results are being returned.  UPDATE:  Our site was not properly or completely indexed.  Support got in touch with the product team and they re-indexed everything.

0 Upvotes