CMS Development

rmoore
Participant

Multiple "blogs" for news listings, webinars, etc..?

SOLVE

Hi,

We're building our first HubSpot CMS site and have a few questions on best practices.

Our current site is built on WordPress and we utilize the "posts" functionality (instead of pages) for items we would like automatically listed in chronological order as well as filterable..  I.e. news mentions, press releases, webinars, etc..  

My gut instinct is to do the same in HubSpot CMS (create a "blog" for news, one for press releases, etc.) but would this be best practice? I know I would need to change the URL slug. 

I want to use the CMS as intended as much as possible so I'm not going against the grain. 

I'm using the March theme by Giant Focal that has a built in filterable resource page of sorts, but its functionality is based on adding content as 'repeatable' modules. Not ideal for news, etc.. 

Just curious if I'm on the right path or if it doesn't really matter. 

Thanks!

Ryan 

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
alyssamwilie
Solution
Recognized Expert | Elite Partner

SOLVE

It's certainly not a terrible idea to utilize blogs for any type of listed content and we still utilize this method for some clients who just find blog posts easier to manage. The one big downside though is it causes some clutter. Every blog that is created creates a comment form, subscription form, subscription property, tag pages, author pages, etc. For content that doesn't utilize all these elements it's just cleaner to create website pages and utilize either HubDB or a repeater module such as you've mentioned. 

If you wanted to go the HubDB route you'd likely need to get some custom development done to add such a module/template to your current theme. Or if you're not completely attached to your current theme you could look for one that has such a feature. Our Spark Premium theme has a filterable resource listing with an option to pull data from HubDB.

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as the solution.

Alyssa Wilie Profile Image

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

Learn HubL | Get Marketing Insights

HubSpot Elite Solutions Partner
Lynton's HubSpot theme Rubric now available. Click to download.

View solution in original post

ankitparmar09
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hello @rmoore 

Yes, it can be doable. Multiple Categories list like blog, news, webinar, white paper and video etc. You can use the code into blog listing module.

{# Variable list #}
{% set blog = blog_recent_posts(6196378961, 250) %} // blog ID = 6196378961
{% set wpaper = blog_recent_posts(6014077551, 250) %} // wpapper ID = 6014077551
{% set videos = blog_recent_posts(6013997791, 250) %} // videos ID = 6013997791
{% set casestudies = blog_recent_posts(6027131651, 250) %} // casestudies ID = 6027131651
{% set news = blog_recent_posts(604496388691, 250) %} // news ID = 604496388691

{% for post in allpost %}

// Code here

{% endfor %}

I hope it can be help you.

image.png

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
ankitparmar09
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hello @rmoore 

Yes, it can be doable. Multiple Categories list like blog, news, webinar, white paper and video etc. You can use the code into blog listing module.

{# Variable list #}
{% set blog = blog_recent_posts(6196378961, 250) %} // blog ID = 6196378961
{% set wpaper = blog_recent_posts(6014077551, 250) %} // wpapper ID = 6014077551
{% set videos = blog_recent_posts(6013997791, 250) %} // videos ID = 6013997791
{% set casestudies = blog_recent_posts(6027131651, 250) %} // casestudies ID = 6027131651
{% set news = blog_recent_posts(604496388691, 250) %} // news ID = 604496388691

{% for post in allpost %}

// Code here

{% endfor %}

I hope it can be help you.

image.png

0 Upvotes
Rahulsatvara

SOLVE

Hi Ankit thanks for the solution this works for me but how can we manage pagination with this solution? is this possible?

0 Upvotes
alyssamwilie
Solution

SOLVE

It's certainly not a terrible idea to utilize blogs for any type of listed content and we still utilize this method for some clients who just find blog posts easier to manage. The one big downside though is it causes some clutter. Every blog that is created creates a comment form, subscription form, subscription property, tag pages, author pages, etc. For content that doesn't utilize all these elements it's just cleaner to create website pages and utilize either HubDB or a repeater module such as you've mentioned. 

If you wanted to go the HubDB route you'd likely need to get some custom development done to add such a module/template to your current theme. Or if you're not completely attached to your current theme you could look for one that has such a feature. Our Spark Premium theme has a filterable resource listing with an option to pull data from HubDB.

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as the solution.

Alyssa Wilie Profile Image

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

Learn HubL | Get Marketing Insights

HubSpot Elite Solutions Partner
Lynton's HubSpot theme Rubric now available. Click to download.