CMS Development

TomGlogovac
Participant

Moving Website from wordpress to hubspot

SOLVE

Hey guys, we are looking to move website from wordpress to hubspot cms, but we are still in the thinking phase.
I have few questions regarding this:

How customizabile is hubspot compared to wordpress?
How mobile friendly (page speed for mobile devices) is hubspot compared to wordpress and would we get full support from hubspot devs in fixing it?
Do we need specialized dev who knows how hubspot cms works?
What would be major losses if we move from wordpress to hubspot?
What would be major advantages if we move from wordpress to hubspot?

Thanks,
Tom

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
TomGlogovac
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you for the in-depth answer!!! Just another question. Is there information how many websites use hubspot cms right now, and is there a list of all the websites that are using it? I already ran inspectin on some websites, but I'd like to do some more. Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
Anton
Recognized Expert | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

hi @TomGlogovac

as a Wordpress and HubSpot developer I would answer your question as following:

How customizabile is hubspot compared to wordpress?

WordPress is without doubt the CMS with the most plugins on the web.

HubSpot has a lot of great "ready-to-use" Plugins in the marketplace. Some of them are free, some piad. Same goes for the themes. But you can always code modules by yourself. You can import custom JS 

How mobile friendly (page speed for mobile devices) is hubspot compared to wordpress and would we get full support from hubspot devs in fixing it?
the responsiveness depends on the theme you'll choose. Good themes are build with media-queries for desktop, tablet, smartphone.

I've worked with many HubSpot themes and would recomend you one of those:

- Act2.1 ( extremly powerful, with a ton of extras and modules which makes your developers life easier)
- Deurali ( great theme, many custom modules)

- Turbo Sodium ( very modern, many custom modules)

All the themes are quite pricy but calculate how much time your developer(s) would need to get those function/modules by themselfs. 

By default HubSpot implements it's own responsive CSS file for the default grid(based on Bootstrap2) and modules. "Pro"-themes may come with their own grid CSS. 

If you want, you can write your own theme based on Bootrap3 or Bootstrap4(or other grid systems). But writing your own theme is(like in every CMS) very time consuming. 

The HubSpot support is not responsible for the theme support.

If you'll need help with a template/theme bug you should be able to contact the theme support. If it doesn't work you can always post your question in the community board(you're here). 

IF you go with marketing pro+CMS there should be an option that the HubSpot migration team will migrate your current look&feel to HubSpot(just the theme). But I've heard that this service might be suspended, so don't quote me on that 🙂 

Do we need specialized dev who knows how hubspot cms works?

HubSpot is based on Jinja programming language. So it's like HTML+PHP+CSS+JS on speed.

If you have your own developer(s) there are great documentations about HubSpot development here and here. Furthermore I would recommend that they do the "CMS developer" certification(found in the HubSpot Academy). It's free, quite easy and will help them to get into the HubSpot development.

What would be major advantages if we move from wordpress to hubspot?

- HubSpot is maintenance-free ( there are no updates that you'll do manually). All updates are made by HubSpot automaticly and worldwide at once. Except some beta-versions which are only for people/devs/partner-agencies that sign-up for the them.

- uptime. I've worked for a HubSpot Gold partner agency(now Platin) for a year and I'm working now for one of the biggest HubSpot Diamond partner agnecies in Germany as lead-developer since last year. In the whole time I've encountered ony a few minutes of download time on HubSpot side. So it's extremly stable and got a lot of redundancy.

- stable. Since you can't access and modify the "config"-files or database of HubSpot it's extremly stable. You can make changes to nearly all necessary settings which are needed for the flawless work of your website. 

- fast. HubSpot have build in image optimization, CSS and JS minifier. Nevertheless you shouldn't upload print-quality images with 300dpi and 5-20Mbyte in size. To get the bestry upload images with max. 200kbyte 

- own CDN. All images and files that you'll upload to the file-manager are hosted on the HubSpot CDN. So it's quite fast if the images/files are web-optimized.

- depending on what version you'll buy of HubSpot(CMS only, CMS+Marketing Starter/Pro/Enterprise...) you'll have many options in one place witch you can connect to  each other flawlessly. 

What would be major losses if we move from wordpress to hubspot?

good question. I can't think of anything "groundbreaking" what you could lose. The only thing could be that you would need to redo some of your plugins as modules or buy/download them. As I've said - there is a great marketplace, a very good community to help you and your devs should be able to get into HubSpot development very quickly if they're Wordpress developers

best, 

Anton

Anton Bujanowski Signature
TomGlogovac
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you for the in-depth answer!!! Just another question. Is there information how many websites use hubspot cms right now, and is there a list of all the websites that are using it? I already ran inspectin on some websites, but I'd like to do some more. Thanks!!!

0 Upvotes
Anton

SOLVE

Hi @TomGlogovac

you're welcome. 

I've found this CMS usage stats online: 

https://www.datanyze.com/market-share/marketing-automation/hubspot-market-share 

but I think every site will tell you something different. 

As for "which page use HubSpot CMS": Personally I think it's quite hard to find out.

a) if you look for HubSpot on builtwith.com you'll see that there are currently around 200k+ pages which use HubSpot. BUT: This doesn't mean that they're using the CMS. It could be the CRM or a version of Marketing, Sales and Service(each got 3 tiers)
b) the big players hide the HubSpot default code snippets like /hub-fs, cdn.hubspot.com, default HTML builds ...
c) most likely you won't see a module/function where you could tell that it's HubSpot. The only thing which could be an indicator for HubSpot is the (GDPR) cookie banner(go to husbpot.com in privacy mode if you have been there and checked it) but since you can style it to your needs(there are some topics on this here) it's quite hard to tell. 

regards, 

Anton

Anton Bujanowski Signature
0 Upvotes