CMS Development

Dannyboy946

Mobile and desk top speed

I recently had a free analysis of the mobile and desk top speed of my site run by Google. Report came back showing that the desktop speed and the mobile speed were poor, confirming what I have known for some time.  Being the novice designer, I built my site using templates that were available from Hubspot marketplace. What could go wrong? Long story short dealing with technical issues like; eliminating render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content, optimizing images, reducing server response time, and leveraging browser caching are all beyond the scope of my capabilities. Any suggestions?   

9 Replies 9
JRonald
Participant

The first-class aspect to do in a site audit is to apply multiple tools and integrate them right into a single record. I use Screaming Frog search engine optimization spider, SEMrush, Ahref, seek console, and Google Analytics into a unmarried document.

0 Upvotes
JanekNahm
Contributor | Diamond Partner

This issue is very annoying... As it seems the folks at Hubspot are working on it:

http://ideas.hubspot.com/forums/76407-general-hubspot-ideas/suggestions/4627587-recommended-action-t...

0 Upvotes
AngelaHicks
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi,

I'd love to give you some suggestions. Would you share the URL of your domain that you assessed? Thanks!

Best,
Angela | HubSpot Academy
0 Upvotes
Dannyboy946

Sure, the URL is www.solutionlinkims.com  

0 Upvotes
AngelaHicks
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

I've used multiple tests (Google Developers PageInsights, Moz, GTmetrix, HubSpot's website grader, webpagetest.org, screaming frog SEO spider, and on) and not all are showing problems with your page load speed. One thing that is consistent is your pages are clocking in under 2 seconds across all of those tools. SEO recommendations say under 3 seconds is good for a user experience. Are you seeing high bounce rates? What about your average time on page?

Your images are optimized well. And that is certainly something within your control! You may want to comment on the ideas message in the forums (you'll get updates that way) as we work on optimizing some of this backend code that's outside of your control. 

Best,
Angela | HubSpot Academy
Dannyboy946

Hi Angela, Google Analytics revealed that my bounce rate is 2.77% for desk top and 6.98% for mobile with average session duration being 18 seconds for desk top and 1:06 for mobile which I find surprising because the slow load speed is most noticable on my mobile device.

Thanks for running those tests, I appreciate your efforts at working on the back end code. 

0 Upvotes
AngelaHicks
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi,

I had some others at my work take a look and they had similar results. My collegue suggests that where you're physically located (and how long it takes for server requests), your internet connection in general, and your mobile phone connection -- wifi, 3G, LTE, may all additionally contribute to slow load times. We're seeing your website load in under ~1.17 seconds, including on mobile. 

Please comment on the Idea post listed above with anything else that you may want to share with our Engineering team!

Best,
Angela | HubSpot Academy
0 Upvotes
JanekNahm

Hi Angela,

Your results are surprising: when testing different pages (ours https://www.divia.de or www.solutionlinkims.com) I get poor results with e.g. google page insights, GT metrix suggesting the following improvements:

• Serve scaled images
  • Optimize images
  • Leverage browser caching
  • Optimize the order of styles and scripts

These results also show up for Hubspot.com. As you are employing a lot of web professionals, I would suggest to double check the under the hood site of things. 

Thanks!

Janek

0 Upvotes
AngelaHicks
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi Janek,

I didn't intend to imply that there were zero suggestions from those tools for optimization. Instead, the suggestions returned would be addressed in the updates that are implied in the thread you posted earlier. Sorry for the confusion!

Best,
Angela | HubSpot Academy