Can a custom theme be made read only? Or does that happen if you create a child theme? A child theme will be created when using the custom theme but I don't want the client to be able to edit the parent theme files (similar to a marketplace theme).
@Jnix284@Kevin-C Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. I think being able to lock the folder will work well for our needs. 99% of our clients will not be going into Design Manager and this would just be an extra layer of protection.
@tmcmillan99 regarding @Kevin-C suggestion regarding a contract, I would highly recommend including a license.txt file in your theme folder that specifies how the theme files can be used.
TXT files can't be directly edited in Design Tools so it should lock it down automatically and it should only be accessible via the CLI - if that's not the case, please let me know so I can test further to see why this behavior might've changed (and check with the developer advocates for further insight).
@tmcmillan99 You're welcome! All marketplace themes include a license agreement that you can reference.
To help you get started, here is an example from POWER Pro theme (with permission):
Here's what our POWER Theme License allows for, for theme available for purchase on the HubSpot Asset Marketplace.
The POWER Theme License grants the user an ongoing, non-exclusive, worldwide license to utilize the digital work (“Item”).
You are licensed to use the Item to create unlimited End Projects within one HubSpot account from which the item was purchased.
- Create End Products for clients or personal projects within one HubSpot account from which the item was purchased.
- You may modify or manipulate the Item. You may combine the Item with other works and make a derivative work from it. The resulting works are subject to the terms of this license.
- This is a 'multi-use' license, which means you may use an Item multiple times, in multiple projects within one HubSpot account from which the item was purchased.
- Use the included illustrations or images as part of your end products or presentations created with the item and within one HubSpot account from which the item was purchased.
- Re-distribute the Item or it’s source files, regardless of any modifications, under any circumstances. In other words, you cannot replicate or make modifications to the item and sell it on the HubSpot Asset Marketplace or other marketplaces as your own, even if the source files are not included.
- Make a theme, template or derivative work of any product to sell on any marketplace.
- Use the included illustrations or images as part of your end products or presentations to be sold in any marketplace including the HubSpot Asset Marketplace unless you are the rightful owner/creator.
- Resell or otherwise distribute downloaded assets on any marketplace including the HubSpot Asset Marketplace, as well as via private channels and bots under any circumstances.
Note: Violation of these terms will be pursued to the fullest extent of the law.
Sample End Products:
- End Products include but are not limited to: Commercial or personal websites, mobile apps, web apps, illustrations, wireframes, presentations and videos.
Other license terms:
- For some Items, a component of the Item will be sourced by the author from elsewhere and different license terms may apply to the component, such as someone else’s license or an open source or creative commons license.
If so, the component will be identified by the author in the Item’s description page or in the Item’s downloaded files. The other license will apply to that component instead of this license. This license will apply to the rest of the Item.
- The author of the Item retains ownership of the Item but grants you the license on these terms. This license is between the author of the Item and you. HubSpot is not a party to this license or the one giving you the license.
All the best with your custom development projects!