Local HubL Server for Chrome OS (Pixelbook)

SOLVE
Highlighted
Advisor | Partner

Hello everyone!

I would like to know if someone has figured out a way to work with Local HubL Server from a Chromebook

Thank you!

Louis Chaussé

CEO

Auxilio

lchausse@auxilio.io
auxilio.io
Schedule a call
0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Advisor | Partner

Hi,

I just tried again, and now it works... don't know why it wasn't working last week...

So here is the full process for those who want to know.

1- Install Linux on your chrome

If you have a Pixelbook it is pretty easy since you have Linux Built-in in your device. Go to Settings > Linux (Beta) and activate it. It may take a few minutes.

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 5.41.18 PM.png

If you have another type of Chromebook, there are many tutorials to install Linux for your specific device. I suggest that you Google something like "How to install Linux on my [device name] Chromebook"

2. Install Java Developers Kit

Once you have installed Linux on your Chromebook, open your Terminal within your apps

open-terminal.png

Once the terminal is open, enter this command + ENTER

sudo apt-get install default-jdk

Note: this command is for those who use a Pixelbook running Linux Debian 9 Stretch. If you run another version of Linux, this command may be different.

3. Install Local Hubl Server

After that, you can follow the steps here: https://designers.hubspot.com/docs/tools/local-hubl-server 

Once you downloaded the files mentioned in the URL above, don't forget to move the local-hubl-server folder in your newly added "Linux files" directory:

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 5.50.37 PM.png Hope that helps!

Louis Chaussé

CEO

Auxilio

lchausse@auxilio.io
auxilio.io
Schedule a call

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Highlighted
Community Manager

@louischausse, do you have crostini? if you have that, then you have linux. BOOM!

Thanks,

Dennis

We are excited to announce that the Community will be launching a weekly newsletter on November 2, 2020!
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Advisor | Partner

Thank you for your answer dennis_e

Yes, I did some more research since I posted this topic and figured out my self that installing Linux would be the key.

Turns out that I have a Pixelbook with Crostini Built-in (Runs Linux Debian 9 Stretch)

I followed these steps to install Local HubL Server (https://designers.hubspot.com/docs/tools/local-hubl-server), but when I'm executing the command line on step 4:

./bin/local-hubl-server

I have this output: -bash:

./bin/local-hubl-server: Permission denied

For the record, I used this command line to install Java Development Kit sudo apt-get install default-jdk

The designer docs say that If I didn't have the proper java version installed it would prompt the download... and if I had the proper version my browser would prompt... since neither of those scenarios occurred I'm wondering what is wrong.

What does Permission denied mean?

Louis Chaussé

CEO

Auxilio

lchausse@auxilio.io
auxilio.io
Schedule a call
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Community Manager

I have a pixelbook as well runnig the dev branch.  I will have to test.

maybe it isnt in your $path ? 

Thanks,

Dennis

We are excited to announce that the Community will be launching a weekly newsletter on November 2, 2020!
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Advisor | Partner

I put the local-hubl-server folder right at the root of my Linux files within my Files

Louis Chaussé

CEO

Auxilio

lchausse@auxilio.io
auxilio.io
Schedule a call
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Community Manager

@louischausse, i get the same error.  Won't have a chance to debug this weekend.  Will try next week

Thanks,

Dennis

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Advisor | Partner

Thanks for your help!

Have a nice week-end!

Louis Chaussé

CEO

Auxilio

lchausse@auxilio.io
auxilio.io
Schedule a call
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Solution
Advisor | Partner

Hi,

I just tried again, and now it works... don't know why it wasn't working last week...

So here is the full process for those who want to know.

1- Install Linux on your chrome

If you have a Pixelbook it is pretty easy since you have Linux Built-in in your device. Go to Settings > Linux (Beta) and activate it. It may take a few minutes.

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 5.41.18 PM.png

If you have another type of Chromebook, there are many tutorials to install Linux for your specific device. I suggest that you Google something like "How to install Linux on my [device name] Chromebook"

2. Install Java Developers Kit

Once you have installed Linux on your Chromebook, open your Terminal within your apps

open-terminal.png

Once the terminal is open, enter this command + ENTER

sudo apt-get install default-jdk

Note: this command is for those who use a Pixelbook running Linux Debian 9 Stretch. If you run another version of Linux, this command may be different.

3. Install Local Hubl Server

After that, you can follow the steps here: https://designers.hubspot.com/docs/tools/local-hubl-server 

Once you downloaded the files mentioned in the URL above, don't forget to move the local-hubl-server folder in your newly added "Linux files" directory:

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 5.50.37 PM.png Hope that helps!

Louis Chaussé

CEO

Auxilio

lchausse@auxilio.io
auxilio.io
Schedule a call

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Manager

@louischausse, totally forgot about this!  Glad you figured it out

Thanks,

Dennis

0 Upvotes