CMS Development

jvniekerk
Miembro

Keep UTM parameters in URL after redirect

I am trying to access the Google PPC UTM parameters in the URL once a customer has been redirected to my website. I understand the process is: customer clicks on PPC advert, gets momentarily redirected to HubSpot, which then redirects her to my site with an altered URL. This is causing the UTM parameters to be stripped out from the URL, making them inaccessible to my system on my website. I would like HubSpot to keep the Google UTM parameters in the URL when redirecting to my site.

I believe this is possible, but have n't been able to get it done.

Thanks.

0 Me gusta
3 Respuestas 3
Jsum
Asesor destacado

@jvniekerk,

I think I understand you. A preview of the situation would be helpful. 

There are ways to capture parameters from a url, storing them as variables, allowing them to be used as variables throughout your page, including in javascript or etc. 

If you are saying that the when users type in your url it takes them to hubspot which redirects to your site, I haven't seen that happen before and I'm not sure it works that way. I also haven't had a situation where one of the Hubspot sites I have worked on has removed parameters from my queries. If anything, a tracking software would direct to a tracking page of it's own before rediricting to the actual site for the sake of dropping off tracking information.

If you can set up an example I think we can find a solution to this.

0 Me gusta
jvniekerk
Miembro

@Jsum

Thanks for your reply.

It looks like somehow we're doing something wrong then. The problem we're experiencing is we add the UTM and HSA parameters to the URL in AdWords, but when the customer arrives on our site, the URL had been changed with the HubSpot HSA parameters replaced and the UTM parameters removed. We're trying to figure out why this is happening, and when/where.

One theory we have is that HubSpot replaces the HSA parameters with what it needs for tracking, and as it doesn't need the UTM parameters, they are simply removed. When exactly this happens I don't know, but it's just a theory. Perhaps a solution would be to remove the HSA parameters from AdWords, and hopefully, HubSpot won't try to override them, but simply append the ones it needs to the UTM parameters.

We're looking into this further at present, but if you have any insight at this point it will be very helpful.

Thanks again,

Joe

Annabel
Participante

Hi Joe,

Out of curiosity, did you and your team figure out the solution to this problem? I'm finding the same exact thing happening to our UTM parameters. We're seeing hubspot add-ons to our urls in our GA reports. We've already edited the options in our Hubspot settings such that Hubspot shouldn't be tinkering with our UTM parameters, so I was wondering if you guys have figured something out here.

Cheers,

Annabel

0 Me gusta