CMS Development

dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Jquery needs some love

SOLVE

Hello friends,

2011 was the last season of oprah...and when jquery 1.7 was pushed live.

Is it possibe to manually replace the jquery loaded with hubspot?  does hubspot remember what version they are using?  aren't there a few vulnerabilities they would want to deal with?

for fun: http://theweek.com/articles/479644/2011s-biggest-pop-culture-moments

1 Accepted solution
Jsum
Solution
Key Advisor

Jquery needs some love

SOLVE

@dennisedson,

It isn't.

Hubspot's forms and ctas depend on jquery 1.7 so Hubspot hard coded 1.7 into the standard header includes requred in every template. 

You can can use javascript to target, stop, and even replace the source tag src value. That's a pain though.

This is also the case with the their design managers default css framework. It was inspired by bootstrap 2. Look at all of the intense advantages bootstraps 3 & 4 have over bootstrap 2, but hubspots css framework was buit in the bootstrap 2 era and the developers didn't think to make it possible to integrate newer technologies.

What should really be the case is that you should have drop downs option in the template settings in the design manager that allows you to choose your jquery, or really literally 100's of other frameworks.

You can post about this in the idea forum. They have to update it at some point, we should have control over these things.

Need help? Hire Us Here

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
jmclaren
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Jquery needs some love

SOLVE

@dennisedson wrote:

Hello friends,

2011 was the last season of oprah...and when jquery 1.7 was pushed live.

Is it possibe to manually replace the jquery loaded with hubspot?  does hubspot remember what version they are using?  aren't there a few vulnerabilities they would want to deal with?

for fun: http://theweek.com/articles/479644/2011s-biggest-pop-culture-moments

Hilariously, I did not expect Dennis and I to end up on the flip side of this conversation(we're HubSpotters now).

Good news for anyone who's looking to upgrade to the latest version of jQuery. I wrote a guide. It will require you to have some technical chops but it's not too difficult.

Jon McLaren

Sr. CMS Developer Advocate

Get started developing on the HubSpot CMS Developer Changelog
How to optimize your CMS Hub site for speed

If my reply answered your question, please mark it as a solution, to make it easier for others to find.

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Jquery needs some love

SOLVE
Woah. How trippy is this!
0 Upvotes
Jsum
Solution
Key Advisor

Jquery needs some love

SOLVE

@dennisedson,

It isn't.

Hubspot's forms and ctas depend on jquery 1.7 so Hubspot hard coded 1.7 into the standard header includes requred in every template. 

You can can use javascript to target, stop, and even replace the source tag src value. That's a pain though.

This is also the case with the their design managers default css framework. It was inspired by bootstrap 2. Look at all of the intense advantages bootstraps 3 & 4 have over bootstrap 2, but hubspots css framework was buit in the bootstrap 2 era and the developers didn't think to make it possible to integrate newer technologies.

What should really be the case is that you should have drop downs option in the template settings in the design manager that allows you to choose your jquery, or really literally 100's of other frameworks.

You can post about this in the idea forum. They have to update it at some point, we should have control over these things.

Need help? Hire Us Here

jausura
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Jquery needs some love

SOLVE

@dennis_e and @JsumI agree with both of you. It's a bummer that this stuff was baked in early on. I can assure you it's a topic of conversation and we're making incremental moves to improve both the jquery and the bootstrap situations. 

I suspect both will eventually be removed since native JS and CSS have evolved beyond these frameworks. I think that's the consensus for jquery, maybe a little early for bootstrap but we shall see.

Jsum
Key Advisor

Jquery needs some love

SOLVE

@jausura,

I would really like to see modularization on the framework level. If Hubspot added frame works to it's marketplace it might make a community driven effort make frameworks like bootstrap 3+, foundation, and angular available to it's customers, from it's community. I know this means allowing us developers to customize the default markup of your built in modules, But why not? what would it hurt if I could take your modules and wrap them in bootstrap 4? 

Advanced Menus would be the biggest relief. If I need to customize site navigation I have to go from class injection with jquery to building a custom module with my own menu repeaters. Last I did that there was a bug in the system and they couldn't get it fixed so I had to hard code the menu. If we could package our own modules in a frame work and have full control then Hubspot's framework would never go out of date or run out of options. That's my view on it anyways.

Need help? Hire Us Here

0 Upvotes
Jon_McLaren
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

Jquery needs some love

SOLVE

I realize I'm way late to the party just read through @Jsum since you were talking about frameworks like bootstrap etc. There is a group of us working on our own HubSpot framework, borrowing elements from each of the popular frameworks like bootstrap's grid.

Things are moving slow on it because I haven't had a ton of time to really lead the charge but things are still being discussed and worked on.

https://github.com/TheWebTech/CrankShaft

If anyone is interested in contributing, we can use some extra hands.

Messages posted by this account have been preserved for their historical usefulness. Jon has a new profile now.
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Jquery needs some love

SOLVE

Thanks Jsum,

Albeit not the answer I wanted, I will accept this as the answer 🙂

Agree that we should have more freedom in frameworks. 

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Jquery needs some love

SOLVE
Maybe
0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Jquery needs some love

SOLVE

Apologies @dennisedson I'm not sure why my previous post didn't publish successfully!

@jausura@Jeffrey@Jsum (the three J's) are you able to comment on @dennisedson feedback here and/or recommend who will be good to pass this on to?

0 Upvotes
semisanestu

Jquery needs some love

SOLVE

@roisinkirby or @jausura

Is there any progress on this issue? I have the same question as the original poster, for much the same reasons. We have run Chrome's Lighthouse extension on our own Hubspot hosted site and it has warned us against the use of such an old version of jQuery.

Is it possible to disable the version of jQuery that hubspot suggests, and then manually add my own (newer) version?

Stu

0 Upvotes