CMS Development

jbecker

Is there a way to know if a file in File Manager is actually used on the website?

SOLVE

Our File Manager has become a mess of the years of multiple users.  We would like to straighten in out by archiving files which haven't been used in years, in addition to creating a useful file stucture of subfolders within folders for easy lookup and control

My question is... is there a way to know if a file is actually linked to the webite?  If I place a file in a folder/subfolder, I suspect it would break any links, therefore I'm treading softly here.

Is there a quick way to see what files are actually linked so I can re-link even before I break it!

Janet Becker

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
DaniellePeters
Solution
Top Contributor

Is there a way to know if a file in File Manager is actually used on the website?

SOLVE

Moving files to different folders in the File Manager will not break links on your site.

Check out the note at the bottom of this article: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/cos-general/how-do-i-move-a-file-between-folders-...

View solution in original post

jbecker
Solution

SOLVE

Thank you for your words of caution Stefen!  I'll be bringing our SEO expert in before I touch a thing.  Thank you for this!

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
stefen
Key Advisor | Partner
Key Advisor | Partner

SOLVE

@jbecker I don't believe there is a way, however, this sure would be a nice feature! Especially if it worked similarly to the way template files work by telling you their dependents. Maybe this should be moved to the ideas board.

Stefen Phelps, Community Champion, Kelp Web Developer
0 Upvotes
jbecker

SOLVE

Just exactly what I'm looking for Stefen.  I hate to take the time to map all links on our site before archiving or moving files to sub folders.  

If anyone else has the answer to this... I'm begging!

0 Upvotes
DaniellePeters
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Moving files to different folders in the File Manager will not break links on your site.

Check out the note at the bottom of this article: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/cos-general/how-do-i-move-a-file-between-folders-...

jbecker

SOLVE

Excellent information Danielle.  I'll dig into this and give it a test.  I'm also cautious about the SEO issues that Stefen brought up.  Treading softly here to not cause big damage!

0 Upvotes
stefen
Key Advisor | Partner
Key Advisor | Partner

SOLVE

@DaniellePeters interesting, that's news to me! However, if the URL changes and there is no redirect created you may lose some of that SEO juice.

Stefen Phelps, Community Champion, Kelp Web Developer
0 Upvotes
jbecker
Solution

SOLVE

Thank you for your words of caution Stefen!  I'll be bringing our SEO expert in before I touch a thing.  Thank you for this!

0 Upvotes
DaniellePeters
Top Contributor

SOLVE

For what's it's worth, I did a quick test on one of my pages and the URL was not changed. Both the original and updated file paths linked to the image.