CMS Development

bradPlaydon
Participant

Installing the HubSpot CMS CLI through Node

From looking at this doc https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/cms/developer-reference/local-development-cms-cli

I can only see one way of installing the HubSpot CMS CLI through Node this is a problem for me as my business doesn't allow for Node to be installed on my machine is there any other way I could install this?

Thanks

Brad 🙂

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hi @bradPlaydon 

Unfortunately, you are going to need node.  Would your team allow node in a docker container maybe?

0 Upvotes
bradPlaydon
Participant

Hi Dennis thanks for the suggestion but I wish it was that easy they simply won't allow the installion of node period. I guess I will have to stick to editing within the browser and not be able to implement a process. 

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

☹️.  That is a shame.  I assume they have some reason for not allowing it, but if it is sandboxed, you would think that would help with security issues (whatever they are). 

I would push to make an exception.  I know that when I worked at an agency, when the CLI was released, my productivity went up.  That and you also get version control with git.  The justifications for having it are pretty numerous!

Good luck!

0 Upvotes
bradPlaydon
Participant

Yeah it is a shame because I already use a CLI for Shopify so I can version control with git just makes everything easier to manage and to collaborate on so it is a shame but Shopify uses something called ThemeKit which is similar besides it's just an exe that you play into the root folder with a config file which then allows for local development I wasn't sure if there was someway of having something similar to that but for HubSpot instead

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

I am unsure if and when this would ever be considered, but you could start an ideas post. Link back to it here and I will upvote https://community.hubspot.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/ideaslandingpage
bradPlaydon
Participant