CMS Development

asiaferguson
Contributor

Incorporating a theme header

SOLVE

Hello -

I have a landing page that is all HTML due to the fact the header image is 2 columns (one headline text, the other a form) and those columns have to fit within a background image of a billboard (it's this one: https://webinars.blipbillboards.com/webinar-lp-test), then changes design slightly by the time the view reduces down to mobile (the form is no longer over the billboard image, but the text is). 

The orignal design did not include their header navigation bar, but now they want it added and I'm stuck as I'm still new at this. Their header is part of their custom theme so I've copied my code into the Templates folder of the theme. I can get an unstyled version of it to appear but it obviously looks horrible. That's as far as I get. 

For an example of the nav bar they want added, take a look at this page for reference on that: http://blipbillboards-2379881.hs-sites.com/blip-webinar 

I'm worried I'll probably have to start all over on this one. I have no idea where to start if that's the case. Any insights or pointers would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Asia

1 Accepted solution
Gonzalo
Solution
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hello @asiaferguson ,

I would suggest putting your template inside their theme. This way you can inherit the settings of the theme, the header, and the header CSS (assuming they have split the CSS following best practices).

Having a template inside the theme that is completely different (or kind of "hardcoded") is fine, you are not forced to use the drag&drop templates within a theme.

If their CSS is not split and does not fully work out of the box with your theme. I would recommend talking to your client to properly define the new scope that is required to be developed (as it wasn't included initially I would bill separately).

Good luck!

If this answer helps you to solve your questions please mark it as a solution.

Thank you,

Gonzalo Torreras

HubSpot freelance developer

hola@gonzalotorreras.com
www.gonzalotorreras.com
Schedule a meeting

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Gonzalo
Solution

SOLVE

Hello @asiaferguson ,

I would suggest putting your template inside their theme. This way you can inherit the settings of the theme, the header, and the header CSS (assuming they have split the CSS following best practices).

Having a template inside the theme that is completely different (or kind of "hardcoded") is fine, you are not forced to use the drag&drop templates within a theme.

If their CSS is not split and does not fully work out of the box with your theme. I would recommend talking to your client to properly define the new scope that is required to be developed (as it wasn't included initially I would bill separately).

Good luck!

If this answer helps you to solve your questions please mark it as a solution.

Thank you,

Gonzalo Torreras

HubSpot freelance developer

hola@gonzalotorreras.com
www.gonzalotorreras.com
Schedule a meeting
asiaferguson
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks! 
I did that last night and managed to get it to appear (along with their footer which looks decent): https://webinars.blipbillboards.com/webinar-lp-nav 

However, now I have the fun task of addressing the styling of the form and some of header itself. Good times!

Thanks again,

Asia

Jaycee_Lewis
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi, @asiaferguson 👋  Thanks for the great question!

Let's see what our community experts have to say about this. Hey, @assi and @Gonzalo do you have any insight for @asiaferguson ?

Hopefully, we can get you a next step or at least a better understanding of what might be necessary so all your stakeholders can make an informed decision.

Thank you! – Jaycee

linkedin

Jaycee Lewis

Developer Community Manager

Community | HubSpot