CMS Development

MKhan145

Hubspot website Poor performace

SOLVE

Hi,

My client has a website on Hubspot and it has poor performance on mobile phones. A lot of hubspot scripts are running and also I am not able to edit parent theme to defer fonts. Is this normal for hubspot website to have poor perfornace?

Example page: https://www.driveninsights.com/the-outsourced-cfo-services-buyers-guide

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Mike_Eastwood
Solution
Key Advisor | Gold Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MKhan145 

Google's Page Speed insight is a brutal benchmark. While it's a super useful tool, it will give poor rankings – especially on mobile – for most sites.

Even Google's Hompages scores poorly on mobile 72/78/100/85.

Our website www.webalite.com is running on the HubSpot CMS, gets a mobile score of 63/93/100/94. There some choices I mad, which slow the site down, because of added features and design choices. As you can see there's a lot going on design and functionality. 

Our site Portal-iQ, also built on the HubSpot CMS has a "first contenful paint" in 2.1 seconds on mobile but still only scores (67/96/100/100) also because of design choices (the Stripe Table slows it down heaps). New homepage coming soon which is scoring over 80 for speed on mobile!

A site we just built for The Back Room on the HubSpot CMS scores 82/95/95/100 on mobile and 99/91/95/100 on desktop!

I checked the Landing Page you shared (thank you) on Google's Page Speed Insights (see analysis) I can see a few issues that will help immediately:

It looks to me like the theme you are using could be improved, technically.

We find many themes are giving you a Swiss Army Knife - packed with features - that you may or may not use (what is that spike for?) when really you want a Global Kitchen Knife that does most jobs extremely well and if you want to open a bottle of wine you use a cork screw.

The good news is that your site can be optimized. You will at some stage come up against the law of diminishing returns.

Let me know if you want to jump on a Zoom call to go through the site.

Mike

p.s. thank you for the mention @PamCotton 

Here to learn more about HubSpot and share my HubSpot Knowledge. I'm the founder of Webalite a Gold HubSpot Partner Agency based in Wellington, New Zealand and the founder of Portal-iQ the world's first automated HubSpot Portal Audit that helps you work smarter with HubSpot.

View solution in original post

Jnix284
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

@MKhan145 I also recommend running performance tests with Google Lighthouse (using incognito) directly to get a better insight in how the website is actually performing for mobile visitors.

Long story short - PageSpeed Insights runs the tests on Google's servers directly from the code, which can bypass some of the built-in functionality of the HubSpot servers (such as auto-converting images to webP for compatible browsers).

Google Lighthouse uses the website as rendered on your local machine by the HubSpot server, thus taking advantage of all optimization included by HubSpot and the theme.

This article about testing website performance from the devs at Power Pro might be helpful to get a better sense of the mobile performance to help prioritize your efforts.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Director of Revenue Operations at WORQFLOW

connect with Jen on Linkedin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike_Eastwood
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @MKhan145 

Google's Page Speed insight is a brutal benchmark. While it's a super useful tool, it will give poor rankings – especially on mobile – for most sites.

Even Google's Hompages scores poorly on mobile 72/78/100/85.

Our website www.webalite.com is running on the HubSpot CMS, gets a mobile score of 63/93/100/94. There some choices I mad, which slow the site down, because of added features and design choices. As you can see there's a lot going on design and functionality. 

Our site Portal-iQ, also built on the HubSpot CMS has a "first contenful paint" in 2.1 seconds on mobile but still only scores (67/96/100/100) also because of design choices (the Stripe Table slows it down heaps). New homepage coming soon which is scoring over 80 for speed on mobile!

A site we just built for The Back Room on the HubSpot CMS scores 82/95/95/100 on mobile and 99/91/95/100 on desktop!

I checked the Landing Page you shared (thank you) on Google's Page Speed Insights (see analysis) I can see a few issues that will help immediately:

It looks to me like the theme you are using could be improved, technically.

We find many themes are giving you a Swiss Army Knife - packed with features - that you may or may not use (what is that spike for?) when really you want a Global Kitchen Knife that does most jobs extremely well and if you want to open a bottle of wine you use a cork screw.

The good news is that your site can be optimized. You will at some stage come up against the law of diminishing returns.

Let me know if you want to jump on a Zoom call to go through the site.

Mike

p.s. thank you for the mention @PamCotton 

Here to learn more about HubSpot and share my HubSpot Knowledge. I'm the founder of Webalite a Gold HubSpot Partner Agency based in Wellington, New Zealand and the founder of Portal-iQ the world's first automated HubSpot Portal Audit that helps you work smarter with HubSpot.

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @MKhan145 thank you for posting in our Community!

Is this page mobile-friendly? Or are you also having issues viewing the page?  If so everything should be tracking as expected.

It would then be worth looking into our resources on how to improve traffic on a site.

You can find these below;

- Website Traffic Down? How to Diagnose and Fix Traffic Drops

- What To Do If Your Website Traffic Is Down

To our top experts @Mike_Eastwood@Jnix284 @alyssamwilie any recommendations to @MKhan145?

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
MKhan145

SOLVE

@PamCotton - Sorry, let me repharse my question. THe page speed performance is poor especially on mobile phones. A. lot of hubspot scripts are killing it.

0 Upvotes
Jnix284
Solution

SOLVE

@MKhan145 I also recommend running performance tests with Google Lighthouse (using incognito) directly to get a better insight in how the website is actually performing for mobile visitors.

Long story short - PageSpeed Insights runs the tests on Google's servers directly from the code, which can bypass some of the built-in functionality of the HubSpot servers (such as auto-converting images to webP for compatible browsers).

Google Lighthouse uses the website as rendered on your local machine by the HubSpot server, thus taking advantage of all optimization included by HubSpot and the theme.

This article about testing website performance from the devs at Power Pro might be helpful to get a better sense of the mobile performance to help prioritize your efforts.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Director of Revenue Operations at WORQFLOW

connect with Jen on Linkedin