CMS Development

sdekleijn
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

HubSpot website migration by onboarding

SOLVE

Hi there,

What is your experience with the website migration by HubSpot during an onboarding?

We need to migrate a website from Drupal to HubSpot and afterwards we use GDD for optimization the website. Therefore we need to know if HubSpot is doing a great job in the migration process and create design / drag and drop templates through the design manager instead of coded files? If not we will do the migration by ourselfs.

The website contains some custom functionality like parallax scrolling, background video's and overlays with forms and is therefor a "complex" website.

Please advise me if we can better create the templates by ourself or let HubSpot do the migration.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
dan_sitton
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Admittedly, I'm probably a little biased, but in my experience with working on getting sites moved over to HubSpot I tend to recommend one of two approaches.

1) Allow HubSpot to move you over to your new site with the understanding that in order to build off your site you'll probably need new templates. Especially when going beyond simple content, I find that certain aspects get hard-coded and it's difficult to use the new site as a foundation for GDD. The modules might not be reusable and there will still be extensive work needed to move the site forward.

2) Purchase a site pack from the HubSpot marketplace and adapt it to your branding. This can be a more time-consuming approach and will require both defined branding guidelines and prep time to map your content to the new site. The big benefit of this approach is having the flexibility to build out your website with reusable templates and modules. Your site will likely look different due to conforming to a theme, but you can still personalize many of the site packs to make your site unique as if you purchased a theme for a different platform like Wordpress.

Another benefit to looking at site packs is that many of them also include landing pages and some even include email templates. This also helps enable you with tools to actively build out your site at a continual rate without requiring as much ongoing effort.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
dan_sitton
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Admittedly, I'm probably a little biased, but in my experience with working on getting sites moved over to HubSpot I tend to recommend one of two approaches.

1) Allow HubSpot to move you over to your new site with the understanding that in order to build off your site you'll probably need new templates. Especially when going beyond simple content, I find that certain aspects get hard-coded and it's difficult to use the new site as a foundation for GDD. The modules might not be reusable and there will still be extensive work needed to move the site forward.

2) Purchase a site pack from the HubSpot marketplace and adapt it to your branding. This can be a more time-consuming approach and will require both defined branding guidelines and prep time to map your content to the new site. The big benefit of this approach is having the flexibility to build out your website with reusable templates and modules. Your site will likely look different due to conforming to a theme, but you can still personalize many of the site packs to make your site unique as if you purchased a theme for a different platform like Wordpress.

Another benefit to looking at site packs is that many of them also include landing pages and some even include email templates. This also helps enable you with tools to actively build out your site at a continual rate without requiring as much ongoing effort.

Hope this helps!

sdekleijn
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your explanation. This will help!

0 Upvotes