CMS Development

Hubmate
Contributor

HubL RSS listing - Topic Parameter

SOLVE

Hi,

Is there a supported 'blog topic' parameter for the RSS Listing HubL tag: https://designers.hubspot.com/docs/hubl/hubl-supported-tags#rss-listing It is not listed there. Yet, when you add a drag and drop RSS Listing module, the user gets to choose an optional blog topic.

I'm aware of all the available HubL functions i.e. 'blog_recent_topic_posts' but I can't use them because of the 'limit' restrictions.

Thanks,

Steve

1 Accepted solution
tjoyce
Solution
Recognized Expert | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Tough question and I'm sure asked many times before. Scoured the documentation and forums and found nothing. Finally, after monitoring the network traffic in the Design Manager after assigning a topic to the RSS feed, I managed to find it. 

{% rss_listing "my_rss_listing" topic_id='5876229575' %}

Now you just have to find the ID of the topic you want to filter

topic_id.png

tim@belch.io

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
tjoyce
Solution

SOLVE

Tough question and I'm sure asked many times before. Scoured the documentation and forums and found nothing. Finally, after monitoring the network traffic in the Design Manager after assigning a topic to the RSS feed, I managed to find it. 

{% rss_listing "my_rss_listing" topic_id='5876229575' %}

Now you just have to find the ID of the topic you want to filter

topic_id.png

tim@belch.io

Hubmate
Contributor

SOLVE

Cheers Tim. I actually got the same result (topic_id) but by looking through the developer info instead. Now I'm wondering whether I can loop through the RSS feed so I can filter the results. I don't think that's possible, else Hubspot wouldn't have created all of the Hubl feed functions.

mehdi

SOLVE

You cant loop through rss listing. Rss listing module returns html script instead of object array. I wished it returned object array so we could easily loop through and use it the way we want. But if you are fetching your own hubspot blog then you dont need rss listing and you can use blog_recent_posts function.

{% set internalFeed = blog_recent_posts(write-id-here, limit=3) | sort(true, false, 'publish_date') %}

<div>
{% for post in internalFeed %}
{% if post.post_list_summary_featured_image || post.post_list_content %}
<span>{{post.absolute_url}}</span>
<span>{{post.post_list_summary_featured_image}}</span>
<span>{{post.blog_post_author.display_name}}</span>
<span>{{post.publish_date|datetimeformat('%d.%m.%Y') }}</span>
<span>{{post.blog_post_author.avatar}}</span>
<span>{{post.post_list_content|safe}}</span>
{% endif %}
{% endfor %}
</div>

If you want to integrate external rss feeds into hubspot then you will need to setup a CORS (I use azure functions, pretty straightforward) or use third party website (https://rss2json.com). Then loop through the object and parse it and list it.

I have done that kind of integration as well (for example listing medium blog posts inside hubspot pages) with some jquery.

0 Upvotes
tjoyce

SOLVE

Oh yea, I don't think you can loop that. Perhaps setting up simple php page and calling your own blog feed from the hubl template using jsonp. Something like:

PHP

<?php
  header('content-type: application/json; charset=utf-8');
  echo 'customFeed(';
  getFeed();
  echo ')';

function getFeed(){
    $cSession = curl_init();
    curl_setopt($cSession,CURLOPT_URL,"https://api.hubapi.com/content/api/v2/blog-posts?hapikey=my-api-key&limit=100");
    curl_setopt($cSession,CURLOPT_HEADER, false);
    curl_setopt($cSession, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER,1);
    $result = curl_exec($cSession);
    curl_close($cSession);
    echo $result;
}

and then a simple jsonP ajax call:

<script>
$.ajax({url: 'http://localhost:9999', dataType:'jsonp'});
function customFeed(json){
    console.log(json);
}