CMS Development

yidanwang
Contributor

HubL - Any way to get the id of the module instance?

SOLVE

When the custom module is rendered, an unique id is attached to the HTML div component with the format hs_cos_wrapper_widget_1538643526593  

Is there a way to get this unique ID in the module itself through HUBL?

Basically I'm looking for a way to identify the very instance of the module in template to assign media-query specific CSS. Class alone is not unique enough for our use-case. 

Appreciate any insight! 🙂 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
JasonRosa
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @yidanwang I believe that you can access that using the {{ name }} variable in HubL within the custom module. Here is an example where I used the variable in my code:

NameVariable.png

And the output that I received in the HTML as a result: 

HTML.png

So in your case you might need something like: 

.hs_cos_wrapper_{{name}} {

}

Please note that HubL can only be used in the HTML pane of the custom module editor so you might need to put your CSS in some <style> tags in the HTML pane and wrap that in {% require_css %}{% end_require_css %} 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
JasonRosa
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @yidanwang I believe that you can access that using the {{ name }} variable in HubL within the custom module. Here is an example where I used the variable in my code:

NameVariable.png

And the output that I received in the HTML as a result: 

HTML.png

So in your case you might need something like: 

.hs_cos_wrapper_{{name}} {

}

Please note that HubL can only be used in the HTML pane of the custom module editor so you might need to put your CSS in some <style> tags in the HTML pane and wrap that in {% require_css %}{% end_require_css %} 

kchung

SOLVE

Hi Jason,

I tried placing in: {{ name }}

But it gives me the same ID number for each item or instance the module creates.

Is there a way to have it produce completely different IDs for each item within the module?

0 Upvotes
JasonRosa
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @kchung would you mind sending over a screenshot of your code? Are you trying to have a unique id/class usign {{ name }} for each module instance (e.g. an image module is added to a page three times) or for a module field in a for loop (e.g. a tabber with repeatable tabs)? 

0 Upvotes
kchung

SOLVE

Capture.JPG

0 Upvotes
kchung

SOLVE

Jason,

Its on line 4.

I tried placing it in Class and then I tried it with id=""  - as you see it in the screen capture.

0 Upvotes
JasonRosa
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @kchung thanks for sending that example! So {{ name }} would be individual to the module as a whole and not a field within a repeater of the module. For example if you added {{ name }} to the top level class on your module (on line 1), each time you added that module to a page the module you added would have a unique class name. If you wanted to have a unique class name for each item in a loop I'd recommend {{ loop.index }} (https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/cms/hubl/for-loops#loop-properties). For example:

{% for item in forloop %}

<div id="story-item-{{ loop.index }}">

</div>

{% endif %}

This should output a number after "story-item-" for the ID which should keep each loop item unique. 

0 Upvotes
kchung

SOLVE

Hi Jason,

That works! It created a unique ID for each of the items within the module. Now I can target each item to re-style in CSS.

Thank you so much!

0 Upvotes
JasonRosa
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

No problem! Happy to hear it worked

0 Upvotes
yidanwang
Contributor

SOLVE

WORKS LIKE A CHARM! Thank you SO MUCH, Jason! This saves my world! 

One minor twist to your answer: the css selector is # (Id selector), not class selector 🙂 

0 Upvotes
JasonRosa
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @yidanwang I'm happy to hear this is working for you! Also, good catch on the ID Smiley Happy!

0 Upvotes