CMS Development

JBrower

How to create an option to hide publish date in blog post.

SOLVE

My customer is wanting the option to choose whether a blog post would show the publish date to the user.

I figure I could do this with Javascript but was hoping to avoid content manipulation post load.

One idea was to create a module for blog post settings but I don't know if I can access those variables outside of the module without Javascripting something.

Another option is to have something in the text of the post content that I can look for, say, at the end.  Then I can parse that in Hubl and do my magic from there, but that sounds pretty hacky. 😀

Any ideas?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
piersg
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @JBrower, I would add a boolean field to your blog template, which will show up in a blog post's editor, and then hide/display based on that:

<!--
   templateType: blog
   isAvailableForNewContent: true
   -->
{% boolean "hide_date" label='Hide the publish date?', value=False, export_to_template_context=True %}

{# rest of your blog template #}

Then wherever you're displaying your publish date do:

{% if widget_data.hide_date.value == false %}
    {{ content.publish_date|datetimeformat('%e %B %Y')}}
{% endif %}

This will work if you have your publish date in a blog post hero module that is imported into your blog template or used directly in the blog template.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
piersg
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @JBrower, I would add a boolean field to your blog template, which will show up in a blog post's editor, and then hide/display based on that:

<!--
   templateType: blog
   isAvailableForNewContent: true
   -->
{% boolean "hide_date" label='Hide the publish date?', value=False, export_to_template_context=True %}

{# rest of your blog template #}

Then wherever you're displaying your publish date do:

{% if widget_data.hide_date.value == false %}
    {{ content.publish_date|datetimeformat('%e %B %Y')}}
{% endif %}

This will work if you have your publish date in a blog post hero module that is imported into your blog template or used directly in the blog template.

RFougere

SOLVE

Hi there. I am looking for this same solution. Would you mind telling me exactly where in the template this code goes? I'd appreciate it. Cheers!

0 Upvotes
piersg
Key Advisor

SOLVE

I tend to put these global template variables at the top before the opening <!doctype html>. Use the if statement wherever you need it.

0 Upvotes
RFougere

SOLVE
Sorry for the delay, and thank you so much for this! Cheers, Randy
0 Upvotes
JBrower

SOLVE

Wow, I did not know about the "export_to_template_context" attribute.  Thank you!