CMS Development

BillOddie

How do I access the value of a 'choice' field from different custom modules in a template?

SOLVE

I have a drag and drop template. I have a custom module which contains a choice field that is set via the content editor.

I want to access the value of this choice field from other custom modules in the same template.

I have read about 'export_to_template_context' and that it is no longer supported in custom modules. 

I have read the choice section of 'Hubl Supported Tags' page but am unsure how to implement that ( https://designers.hubspot.com/docs/hubl/hubl-supported-tags#choice )

Thanks

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
lscanlan
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

How do I access the value of a 'choice' field from different custom modules in a template?

SOLVE

Hi BillOddie,

I'd suggest exporting the tag value to the template context from the head HTML, which you can do from the field labeled "Additional <head> markup". Then within each module you could access the exported value. So for example if you named your module myModule, you could add this code into the head HTML field:

{% choice "myModule" label='My Module', value='One', choices='One, Two', export_to_template_context=true %}

This will create a choice module "myModule", which will be editable on the page-level. Then within the modules, you could do something like this:

{% if widget_data.myModule.value %}
  {{ widget_data.myModule.value }}
{% endif %}

...which would print the value of the module.

Do you think this will work for what you're trying to do?

- Leland

Leland Scanlan

HubSpot Developer Support

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
lscanlan
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi BillOddie,

I'd suggest exporting the tag value to the template context from the head HTML, which you can do from the field labeled "Additional <head> markup". Then within each module you could access the exported value. So for example if you named your module myModule, you could add this code into the head HTML field:

{% choice "myModule" label='My Module', value='One', choices='One, Two', export_to_template_context=true %}

This will create a choice module "myModule", which will be editable on the page-level. Then within the modules, you could do something like this:

{% if widget_data.myModule.value %}
  {{ widget_data.myModule.value }}
{% endif %}

...which would print the value of the module.

Do you think this will work for what you're trying to do?

- Leland

Leland Scanlan

HubSpot Developer Support
BillOddie

SOLVE

Hello again Leland, 

I have a new question which follows on from this question.

I was wandering of you could give any advice on this issue too...

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/CMS-Development/Show-dynamic-module-in-main-edit-pane-of-page-edito...

Many thanks

0 Upvotes
BillOddie

SOLVE

It looks like that will work absolutely perfectly, thank you very much for enlightneing me!

0 Upvotes