CMS Development

jcurtis
Miembro

How complicated is it to integrate a new site template if we are using a migrated site as we speak?

resolver

Our firm site was migrated to HS over two years ago - it was originally created on SquareSpace. I have done my best to correct formatting issues, layout, design, etc., but I believe it is time we give the site an overhaul. I want an entirely new template. My main concern is the blog feed... I don't want to lose old posts, tags, dates, and so on.

Does anyone know if this is possible to do without losing any of our content? I can work on the structure to the best of my ability.

Or, is it possible to create an entirely new site without publishing and make a switch once it is complete?

Sincerely, 

One-Woman Team

0 Me gusta
1 Soluciones aceptada
dennisedson
Solución
Equipo de producto de HubSpot

How complicated is it to integrate a new site template if we are using a migrated site as we speak?

resolver

@jcurtis,

I dont think you should worry too much about losing content. 

depending on your version of hubspot you have, you can stage web pages and landing pages which makes it a smooth process.

Blogs are a different animal...

My strategy is to create a new blog in your settings.  make sure to add a do not follow to the post and listing views so google isnt crawling them

clone a chunk of posts and move them to your new blog.  now you have some content to work with.

start building your new templates and test with the cloned posts. 

Once you are satisfied with the look and feel, go back into settings and switch the real blogs templates to your sweet new templates. 

If you dont like the way it looks, you can always switch back to your old template and hack away at the new one some more. 

If you do not have a staging area, you will want to clone your pages (add something to the title to make it clear that it is a work in process).  Then you can change the template associated with each of those cloned pages. 

Just do your best to stay organized.  put all of your new templates/ modules, css and js  in a new folder so it is separated.  add clear names to your WIP pages and you will get through it.  Site refreshes are a lot of work, but fun

Good luck out there!

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

3 Respuestas 3
dennisedson
Solución

resolver

@jcurtis,

I dont think you should worry too much about losing content. 

depending on your version of hubspot you have, you can stage web pages and landing pages which makes it a smooth process.

Blogs are a different animal...

My strategy is to create a new blog in your settings.  make sure to add a do not follow to the post and listing views so google isnt crawling them

clone a chunk of posts and move them to your new blog.  now you have some content to work with.

start building your new templates and test with the cloned posts. 

Once you are satisfied with the look and feel, go back into settings and switch the real blogs templates to your sweet new templates. 

If you dont like the way it looks, you can always switch back to your old template and hack away at the new one some more. 

If you do not have a staging area, you will want to clone your pages (add something to the title to make it clear that it is a work in process).  Then you can change the template associated with each of those cloned pages. 

Just do your best to stay organized.  put all of your new templates/ modules, css and js  in a new folder so it is separated.  add clear names to your WIP pages and you will get through it.  Site refreshes are a lot of work, but fun

Good luck out there!

jcurtis
Miembro

resolver

Dennis, thank you so much!

I do have the ability to stage templates and this will help a lot along the way. 

The blog has a lot of outdated content (our industry changes on a regular basis) but I don't want to risk losing the work. There is a lot of cosmetic work I need to do and grabbing a new template surely would solve my conundrum... but your advice has given me a great place to start.

Thanks again!

Joanmarie

dennisedson

resolver

Awesome!

We are always here if you have questions and need help 🙂

0 Me gusta