CMS Development

JamesSilver
Participant

How can I test a 500 error page?

SOLVE

We have a multilingual site, and have customized the 500 error page template (e.g. link) so we render an error message in the appropriate language for the user.

The question I have is this: Is there a way to get Hubspot to produce, or simulate, a 500 error so we can test our work?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Jnix284
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JamesSilver  and @Jaycee_Lewis , definitely an interesting question and one I get a lot, unfortunately there is no way that I know of to force a 500 error (I'd love to know if there's a trick for this though!) - and in 6 years with hundreds of websites, I haven't seen a single one throw a 500 error.

The very small amount of times I've seen a website go down on HubSpot servers it either rendered a blank page or a HubSpot error page, it didn't produce the website 500 page. My assumption has always been because that page also lives on the same server as the website, so technically if the website can't be reached, neither can the template.

I've never spent a lot of time on 500 pages because of this - 404 is a different story and you can do a lot of work there and test thoroughly.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Jnix284
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @JamesSilver  and @Jaycee_Lewis , definitely an interesting question and one I get a lot, unfortunately there is no way that I know of to force a 500 error (I'd love to know if there's a trick for this though!) - and in 6 years with hundreds of websites, I haven't seen a single one throw a 500 error.

The very small amount of times I've seen a website go down on HubSpot servers it either rendered a blank page or a HubSpot error page, it didn't produce the website 500 page. My assumption has always been because that page also lives on the same server as the website, so technically if the website can't be reached, neither can the template.

I've never spent a lot of time on 500 pages because of this - 404 is a different story and you can do a lot of work there and test thoroughly.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

Jaycee_Lewis
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi, @JamesSilver 👋 Thanks for the interesting question. I didn't find a way to force or simulate a 500 error, so you can preview your language-specific version(s) —  Use system templates to customize error, subscription, and password prompt pages.

Hey, @Indra @JBeatty @Jnix284, have you ever tackled this type of situation for your projects? 

Best,

Jaycee

linkedin

Jaycee Lewis

Developer Community Manager

Community | HubSpot

0 Upvotes