CMS Development

CFrench
Teilnehmer/-in

Help with Filtering for Programmable Email

So I'm looking to build an email that dynamically pulls in resources from a HubDB table. The table contains the following columns:

• resource_url
  • resource_type
  • content_bucket

So if someone downloads a resource, we want to send them an email suggesting related resources, but excluding the one they downloaded. I'm looking for help with two things. 

First, I can't get the query parameters to work correctly. I can pull in data if I hard code the query, but I need the query to dynamically pull in values from the other rows containing the same resource_type and content_bucket.

Relatedly, I also I need to exlcude the row containing the value or the resource_url the contact has already downloaded.

We'll store that value in it's own propety on the contact record, so I can call it in like {% set initial_resource = contact.first_download_url %}.

Here's what I have:

{% set initial_resource = contact.first_download_url.value %}
    {% if initial_resource is containing row.resource_url %}
    {% set resource_id = row.resource_type.id %}
    {% set content_bucket_id = row.content_bucket.id %}
      <h3>Available Resources</h3>
      <ul>
<!--note that this line is commented out but included for reference-->{# for rows in hubdb_table_rows(<table_id>, "resource_type=2&content_bucket=2&orderBy=count") #}
      {% for row.resource_url in hubdb_table_rows(<id>, "resource_type="~resource_id~"&content_bucket="~content_bucket_id~"&orderBy=order") %}
          <li>{{ resource_id }}</li>
      {% endfor %}
      </ul>
      {% else %}
      evaluated to false
    {% endif %}

Making this work would be kind of a dream come true, so thanks in advance!

4 Antworten
CFrench
Teilnehmer/-in

So I've pretty much figured this out after probably 20 hours of banging my head (not exaggerating). Here's what I wound up with, which I'll weave into an actual email template:

{% set resources = hubdb_table_rows(<tableID>) %}

{% for row in resources %}    
        {% set row_url = row.resource_url %}
        {# note that I have not tested whether the next line will work to pull in and compare the contact property value, but it should #}
        {% set initial_resource = contact.first_download_url.value %}

{% if row_url is containing initial_resource %}

{% set rti = row.resource_type.id %}
            {% set cbi = row.content_bucket.id %}
            {% set queryparam = "" %}

{% if resource_type != "" %}
                {% set queryparam = queryparam ~ "&resource_type=" ~ rti %}
                {% endif %}

{% if content_bucket != "" %}
                {% set queryparam = queryparam~ "&content_bucket=" ~ cbi ~ "&orderBy=count" %}
                {% endif %}    

{% set rows = hubdb_table_rows(5414422, queryparam) %}  

{% for row in rows|rejectattr('resource_url', 'containing', initial_resource) %}
                      {% if row_url is containing initial_resource %}
                          <div>{{row.resource_url }}</div>
                          {% else %}
                          Oops
                      {% endif %}            
                {% endfor %}
        {% endif %}
    {% endfor %}
ChrisoKlepke
Autorität | Elite Partner
Autorität | Elite Partner

Hey @CFrench,

thank you for sharing your progress. I actually was tinkering around over the weekend with this idea because I think this is a suuuper smart approach.

I was able to put something together (probably not worth to share because very questionable) and it worked until I was trying to get the personalization token in there. Please let me know how it works for you because with the markup that you're using I wasn't successful.

The docs are a bit different on this as well:

https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/cms/hubl/functions#personalization-token

{{ personalization_token("contact.firstname", "there") }}!

If you put it into the statement like this:

{% set initial_resource = personalization_token("contact.first_download_url") %}

my query is empty, and therefore the design manager doesn't me publish the file. 

If I put the statement with a default like this, however:

{% set initial_resource = personalization_token("contact.first_download_url", "https://www.hubspot.com") %}

I'm receiving an error on my query and still not able to publish

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 09.33.42.png

Please let me know how you solved this. That is, if you're still having trouble with this. I'm very curious.

Cheers, 

Chriso

CFrench
Teilnehmer/-in

Hey, @ChrisoKlepke, thanks for chiming in! 

I created a separate post with my updated code to see if we can get some clarification and will consolidate the answer here once it's resolved. I'm still working on it very fruitlessly 🙃

0 Upvotes
Jaycee_Lewis
Community-Manager/-in
Community-Manager/-in

Hi, @CFrench 👋. Thanks for the interesting question. I appreciate the code example as it is very helpful to our community and for troubleshooting. 

Let's see if we can get the conversation started – @Teun @ChrisoKlepke have you managed to bend HubDB to your will in this kind of way?

Thank you very much! — Jaycee

linkedin

Jaycee Lewis

Developer Community Manager

Community | HubSpot