CMS Development

jlesliee

Gmail Spacing/ Format Issue

Is there a way to adjust format settings on an email based on different platforms? In Gmail, our emails currently have too much space but on other platforms it looks okay. Images also format worse/ incorrectly in Gmail than in Hubspot and email platforms such as Apple. Given that Gmail is the largest email platform, I would love to be able to find a solution to this. 

0 Upvotes
14 Replies 14
alyssamwilie
Recognized Expert | Elite Partner

@jlesliee If it looks good in the Hubspot client test then it'll likely be alright for the majority of users. Your case it could be some sort of weird Gmail setting I'm not aware of or a browser extension. I myself have a Gmail extension on my Chrome that never renders emails correctly haha.

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as the solution.

Alyssa Wilie Profile Image

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

Learn HubL | Get Marketing Insights

HubSpot Elite Solutions Partner
Lynton's HubSpot theme Rubric now available. Click to download.
0 Upvotes
jlesliee

Okay thank you for your help! I will let you know if I have any more questions on this topic 🙂 

0 Upvotes
alyssamwilie

@jlesliee I'm really not seeing any reason for that extra spacing to be happening. Your screenshot from gmail,  was that a test you sent to yourself? How does it look if you run the email through Hubspot's client test?

hubspot-gmail-test.png

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

0 Upvotes
jlesliee

Thank you for looking into all of this, I really appreciate it. The spacing looks fine in the preview as well. Do you know if there are certain Gmail settings that could be causing this problem? Also, these were only test emails, I sent to myself. Are errors such as this likely to only occur in a test email or will the formatting stay the same when it is sent directly to a client?  Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 12.16.49 PM.png

0 Upvotes
alyssamwilie

Ugh, the preview link wants me to login. Hubspot why you do this??? @dennisedson Do you know if there is  anyway to see a preview of an email now that Hubspot keeps requiring you to be logged into the account to view preview links? I really don't understand why they've done this, makes it so difficult to share unpublished content with anyone, even at Lynton this has messed up our QA process.

@jlesliee I did some testing in a drag-and-drop email of my own and the spacing was fine. Did ya'll maybe copy-paste in the text and there's some extra styling or something in there? I'm thinking maybe some errant inline styling could be causing problems. If you click More > Source code in the text module it'll show you the HTML of the text.

more-source.png

If you see any <br> tags, I'd delete em as Hubspot uses <p>&nbsp;</p> for paragraph spacing.
If you see any style="" in there you can click the Clear Styles button to clean it up.
clear-styles.png

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

jlesliee

So here is the cod associated with our first paragraph. I don't see any <br> tags, but do you see anything else that could be causing the issue? Also, I don't think I want to clear the styling as it would then not go along with our brand guidelines font and color-wise (see image). I checked other text boxes and didn't see any problems but I can send you screenshots of that as well. Here is a screenshot of the preview link (with acceptable spacing) if that is helpful. Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 11.54.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-17 at 11.52.02 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-17 at 11.59.00 AM.png

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Unfortunately, no way around it 😥

If helpful, I have added the email code to a pen.
(I will delete it once this is resolved) 

0 Upvotes
alyssamwilie

@jlesliee 

There's a lot of things that could be causing client specific problems, do you have a link to a preview of the email as well as screenshots of the problem you're running into? Is this a custom HTML email or Hubspot drag and drop?

I will say from the outset that if it's Hubspot drag and drop you might be out of luck. Gmail will ignore any embedded styling outside of the <head> and Hubspot doesn't give us a way to add to the <head> (really hope they make that possible in the future cause it sure is a bummer.). So there wouldn't be anyway to code any Gmail specific styling in.

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

jlesliee

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I have attached a screenshot to how the email looks in Gmail with 1.5 spacing (less than that makes the text look too squished in Hubspot and other email platforms). As for what type of email, I believe it is a custom HTML email as we built our email templates in Hubspot but I am not familiar with what a Hubspot drag and drop email is. Could you please elaborate on what this type of email is? You are also welcome to look into our account. All the emails I am concerned with our in our Top Products & Services Folder. Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.29.18 AM.png

0 Upvotes
alyssamwilie

@jlesliee I'm not a Hubspot employee so I don't have access to your account. 😅 Can you provide a preview link of the email? In the email editor you can get a link by clicking Actions > Preview and then clicking the "Copy shareable link" button.

If it's a drag and drop email you'll see this sidebar on the left in the email editor that allows you to drag and drop modules into the email.

drag-drop-email.png

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

I sometimes wish @alyssamwilie was employed at HubSpot!  (don't let the boss know I said that, Alyssa 😜)

jlesliee

Oh haha sorry! Here is the preview link: http://next-health-20523078.hs-sites.com/-temporary-slug-3d19c12e-3acb-487b-968b-7dacd69eb097?hs_pre...

And so we did build the emails from dragging those text and images boxes along with saved sections. Is there another way to build the emails that allows for easier formatting solutions? 

jlesliee

Is there a way to adjust format settings on an email based on different platforms? In Gmail, our emails currently have too much space but on other platforms it looks okay. Images also format worse/ incorrectly in Gmail than in Hubspot and email platforms such as Apple. Given that Gmail is the largest email platform, I would love to be able to find a solution to this. 

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

@alyssamwilie , any suggestions for our friend?

0 Upvotes