CMS Development

ReinhartDan
Participant

Flexible Columns in Email

I'm currently working on a custom-coded email template and actually have had success with the flexible columns in it, so my marketing team can drag and drop the various modules they need into it while building an email.

However, the one and only hiccup I'm running into, is the delete button doesn't work. I get the following JS error in my element inspector:

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 11.05.08 AM.jpg

The code for the page isn't anything special, really. I just have the following:

{% widget_container "primary_widget_area" %}
{% end_widget_container %}    

The rest of the template just relys on HTML, CSS and a few other HubL codes (for things like contact info, etc.)

It would seem that the only main issue here is that HubSpot isn't loading all of the JavaScript required to carry out the delete function...

12 Replies 12
John
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

In case anyone in this thread doesn't know, HubSpot is close to a new drag and drop email editor. I've heard it's gonna be awesome.

I like kudos almost as much as cake – a close second.

0 Upvotes
Flake
Participant

Yeah, I've already checked out the beta and it looks very promising. You can finally drag&drop stuff into 1-3 columns and also custom modules!

Jake_Lett
Guide | Partner
Guide | Partner

For those of you looking for a "flexible solution" I created an email template that uses a custom block module that lets you create as many models as you need. Also, if you decide you want to rearrange them you can drag and drop them into the order. So this functionality makes things flexible but works within the constraints of table based HTML emails.

Would appreciate any feedback you have: https://marketplace.hubspot.com/products/bootstrapcreative/aqueduct-card-email

Thanks,

Jacob

0 Upvotes
jakeb
Participant

Awesome!

The new module features within the Design Manager is great too, and is something folks who are looking for a repeatable field solution can start using today.

You can create custom modules which can be repeatable and contain nested fields (which can also be repeatable). We're using this internally to create some fairly sophisticated email templates within HubSpot.

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/design-manager-user-guide-v2/how-to-use-custom-modules-to-add-advanced...

0 Upvotes
Flake
Participant

Any news on this?

I know there are quite a couple issues with CSS in E-Mails (think of using flexbox) but maybe we can have this in some kind of "expert mode" where HubSpot just offers no support. We, the "experts", are then fully responsible for checking which feature or module works.

0 Upvotes
jakeb
Participant

+1

This has been a pain point for producing emails as we scale. We have to essentially pre-build our templates for our team. Not really ideal. Would prefer for my users to simply add blocks such as a 1-column block or a 2-column block to their email template.

0 Upvotes
stefen
Key Advisor | Partner
Key Advisor | Partner

flex columns are not supported in email or blog templates unfortunately

Stefen Phelps, Community Champion, Kelp Web Developer
0 Upvotes
ReinhartDan
Participant

Curious to know why not. In terms of the email I set up, everything works. I can add modules, edit them and re-arrange them. The delete button is literally the only thing I'm seeing that would hold this back from being supported.

0 Upvotes
John

I hate to say it but... but it is because Hubspot said so! haha

Please note: You cannot make a flexible column within an Email template or Blog template - this can only be done in a Website or Landing Page template. 

source 1, source 2

The most probable reason is that email clients like gmail and outlook are stupid and archaic. I do suspect this is one of the "big things" hubspot is working on. I'd love to see a drag and drop editor like Campaign Monitor... only time will tell.

I like kudos almost as much as cake – a close second.

0 Upvotes
ReinhartDan
Participant

Thanks, John.

Personally, I'm having trouble with their answer that it's the email clients' fault. The modules I'm intending to use are adding nothing more than HTML and some bits of formatting. How I add things to an email shouldn't matter to an email client because HubSpot is ultimately compiling the template into HTML and inline CSS before it sends out (which any email client including Gmail and Outlook should easily understand... most of the time, as we all know).

0 Upvotes
stefen
Key Advisor | Partner
Key Advisor | Partner

@ReinhartDan completely agree that an email should be able to have a flex column. There is no technical reason why it couldn't. Adding a loop in an email template isn't rocket science Smiley Frustrated

Stefen Phelps, Community Champion, Kelp Web Developer
AClarke
Participant

Is this something on the roadmap?  This definitely needs to happen within Hubspot.

0 Upvotes