CMS Development

nschurdell
Contributor

Featured Image Alt Text not passed via the rss listing module

Featured Image alt text option is NOT available in the RSS Listing module? It is mentioned in the documentation as a supported variable but we cannot access it via the RSS feed listing module.

Can access:
include_featured_image=True,

Cannot access:
include_featured_image_alt_text=True,
include_featured_image_alt_text=True,
featured_image_alt_text=True,
post_featured_image_alt_text=True,

etc.

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
Ty
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @nschurdell,

if you are creating an RSS listing, when you pull the featured image via " include_featured_image=True", it should also pull out your alt text and apply it in your RSS listing. Are you not returning any alt text?Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 2.37.18 PM.png

If you could provide a link to what you are working on, I'd be happy to take a look for you!

Thanks!

-- Ty

0 Upvotes
nschurdell
Contributor

Thank you @Ty, the module on our home page at tributemedia.com is putting in the title of the Blog post as the Alt Text and we have no way of controlling it, see output hererss module alt text issuerss module alt text issue

0 Upvotes
Ty
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @nschurdell,

I asked around, and it seems that as of right now, the rss-feed is auto generated by the module on our end. Unfortunaltely, that feature isn't available right now. However, this would be a perfect feature to request in our Ideas forum. We're regularly checking there, and are always looking for ways to improve our products to help our users!

Thanks!

-- Ty

0 Upvotes
nschurdell
Contributor

@Ty well that seems silly. From a developer perspective that is odd that you have it in your supported variables for blog posts but it is not accessable via the rss feed module. Would you mind creating that feature request? Or is that something we need to do? Thanks again for the insight. 

0 Upvotes
nschurdell
Contributor

We were able to create a workaround, but it would be great to get the rss listing module to use the featured image alt text as one of its properties. 

Ty
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

That's great news! I also forwarded this thread to a few Dev team members, so hopefully this can get done soon enough. Also for the sake of sharing knowledge, if you feel inclined, I'm sure everyone would love to see how you did it! Feel free to drop a thread in the "Share Your Work" forum, if you feel like sharing it! 🙂

If not, that's fine too, I understand how it is with some custom solutions, but I'm just glad you were able to get something working!

-- Ty

0 Upvotes
nschurdell
Contributor

@Ty I would absolutely share what we created but we were actually trying to use the featured alt text for some other functionality, so technically we still do not have that alt text data in the rss feed, so that might be a little misleading - sorry about that. Don't tempt me though... we could find a way 😉

0 Upvotes