CMS Development

tsantos

FTP file uploads are failing

I'm trying to upload files via FTP (since there doesn't seem to be a web uploader.) I can connect to our account and get a full directory listing, but when I try to actually upload any of my files to the subfolders in the templates folder the upload fails with a connection error: Error on output file.

I've checked and re-checked my connection settings, tried poth PASV and PORT file transfer methods and tried both forcing my FTP client (Cyberduck) to try and use a single connection for the upload or to create a new connection. Still can't get anything to upload. There doesn't seem to be any documenation covering this. Any help is much appriciated.

0 Upvotes
16 Replies 16
MarketingEvo

We are also having this issues with all of our users.  Were you ever able to resolve it?

@tsantos wrote:

I'm trying to upload files via FTP (since there doesn't seem to be a web uploader.) I can connect to our account and get a full directory listing, but when I try to actually upload any of my files to the subfolders in the templates folder the upload fails with a connection error: Error on output file.

I've checked and re-checked my connection settings, tried poth PASV and PORT file transfer methods and tried both forcing my FTP client (Cyberduck) to try and use a single connection for the upload or to create a new connection. Still can't get anything to upload. There doesn't seem to be any documenation covering this. Any help is much appriciated.

0 Upvotes
tsantos

No, we never were able to resolve it. Hubspot is running a code validator on everything that gets uploaded into the template's directory, and that validator failing is what causes the FTP transfer to be aborted (or at least that's what was happening to us.) There is no stand alone HUBL validator and there is no way to see the output from the validator, it just fails silently. We had to completely give up on authoring any templates at all because we couldn't use our existing resources (that we use to design and build our web app) to build HUBL templates and the web-based editor Hubspot provides was too painful to use. 

0 Upvotes
MarketingEvo

This is awful, we are only trying to upload .jpg files!  Support was 45 mins of useless stuff that anyone would have already tried... along with obvious googling as the same solutions I found were presented.  This just started today too, we can't upload anything of any size by FTP. 😞

0 Upvotes
Rainer_Klute

I have the same problem since this morning. I tried to upload severy types of files (JPEG, PNG, HTML, plain text): all failed with an FTP reply code of 551. More: https://integrate.hubspot.com/t/file-upload-fails-with-ftp-reply-code-551/3066

0 Upvotes
MarketingEvo

Turns out the AWS poutage this week cause my issue and it's better today...

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hey @tsantos I"d be happy to dig into this for you further. Could you please confirm if you are either a) trying to connect to HubSpot via FTP (as per this documentationor b) if you are using the local HubL server with FTP as outlined here. Could you also copy/paste and/or provide a screenshot of the full error your are seeing on the most recent call that failed to log. 

There could be something either in the location that is being set or configuration of file itself that is causing the connection to fail. Confirmation of this will ensure we get to the right troubleshooting steps. 

0 Upvotes
tsantos

I am trying to connect to FTP per your documentation. I can connect, and get a directory listing without any issue. The problem comes on trying to upload a file. Any upload I get fails as a connection error, "Error on output file."

Things I've tried to solve this:

• Change the file transfer methods in my client (cyberduck) from PASV to PORT
  • I changed the way the client manages connections for file transfers from multiple connections to opening a single new connections and trying to use only one connection for both file listings and transfers
0 Upvotes
MayPascaud
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @tsantos, thank you for the additional information.

Our team was actually able to successfully test uploading files into your portal using your FTP client, cyberduck. I will PM you a screencast of this successful action shortly.

The root cause behind the "Error on output file" message you are seeing could be one of a few things:

- Please ensure that the connection is set to use TLS/SSL (this is a HubSpot requirement, for security reasons):

2016 11 14_1532.png

- In searching through StackOverflow, we found a post showcasing a similar error, which you can find here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24603718/551-error-on-output-file. In this case, the issue was linked to the filename: the user was not using the full pathname for reading the local filename. 

Let me know if you have any questions on the above,

May

0 Upvotes
tsantos

The path it's trying to write the file to seems to be legit.

Screenshot 2016-11-14 13.44.37.png

Could this be an account persmissions issue?

0 Upvotes
MayPascaud
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@tsantos, that filepath does seem fine... However, it doesn't look like a permissions issue: we tested this out again in your portal as a user with the most basic set of permissions, and off of the HubSpot network, and it worked for us.

Did you receive the screencast that I sent you, and were you able to replicate the same process of selecting a file outlined in that screencast?

The only other thing I can suggest other than trying out a different FTP client would be for you to send me the file you're trying to upload, and its destination, so that we can replicate your process exactly (including basic user permissions and off-network). This would allow us to confirm that the issue is linked to something on your end. Let me know!

0 Upvotes
tsantos

I did and I got the same result as before. It's also failing when I try to upload via cUrl.

0 Upvotes
tsantos

And now I'm getting 550 "Permission denied" errors. Could this be an issue with my account?

0 Upvotes
MayPascaud
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@tsantos if you'd like to PM me the file and its intended destination, I can try to replicate on my end. My hypothesis is that the error is firewall-related; to prove this, I would recommend that you use a non-work computer to try uploading the file, and seeing if you still see the same error. 

Regarding the 500 error you're seeing, it would not be an issue with your account. If you could get the logs from your client and PM them to me as well, that would be helpful. Thank you!

0 Upvotes
tsantos

I have been connecting via FTPS (FTP-SSL). I would hope that it wouldn't connect and show a file list or let me download file (both of which I can do)if I was trying to connect in the clear.

I'll take a look at the pathname issue and see if it fixed anything. Thanks for the help 🙂

0 Upvotes
milans812

{{5+3}} {{1==1}}

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hey there @milans812 would you be able to explain the above comment further in the context of this case? Thank you for yoru contribution!

0 Upvotes