CMS Development

Track

Editing others work? And how to distribute?

SOLVE

Hello! I'm just starting to dive into this Hub universe and my first question is:
I will likely need to create custom modules for my customers and I'm wondering if it's possible to e.g. choose a well made theme from the marketplace and use this as my base for further customization? 

1) is it possible after I pick a marketplace-theme to see how it's all made in the "file tree / design-manager" and/or get this code locally?

2) if above is possible, am I allowed to (in terms of ToS etc)? How would it be with giving credit to the original creator(s)?

Trying not to invent the wheels again 🙂

(bonus question) If I have 5 customers on 5 different HubSpot accounts and I make a new cool module that I want to share with them all; how would I go about "distributing" the new code to them? Assuming I have a "service/CICD user" in each account.

Thanks in advance - links to any resource are welcome

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
alyssamwilie
Solution
Recognized Expert | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hey @Track ,

Marketplace themes are not able to be downloaded locally as that could possibly lead to people distrubuting a theme across multiple portals that didn't pay for it. You can however make edits to a theme within the Design Manager by creating a Child of that theme. You can then clone assets from the marketplace theme into the child theme to make edits to them or add your own custom content.

For the multi-portal distribution I don't think this would be possible if you're wanting to port it into marketplace content, but if it's some standalone files you could utilize the HubSpot CLI to build locally and more quickly add the same asset to multiple portals.

I will note that standalone modules that aren't inside a theme folder can be used on any drag and drop template (which all themes in the marketplace should be using). So you could have your client set up with a marketplace theme, but also build out your own modules separate from the theme for them to use.

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as the solution.

Alyssa Wilie Profile Image

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

Learn HubL | Get Marketing Insights

HubSpot Elite Solutions Partner
Lynton's HubSpot theme Rubric now available. Click to download.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
1 Reply 1
alyssamwilie
Solution

SOLVE

Hey @Track ,

Marketplace themes are not able to be downloaded locally as that could possibly lead to people distrubuting a theme across multiple portals that didn't pay for it. You can however make edits to a theme within the Design Manager by creating a Child of that theme. You can then clone assets from the marketplace theme into the child theme to make edits to them or add your own custom content.

For the multi-portal distribution I don't think this would be possible if you're wanting to port it into marketplace content, but if it's some standalone files you could utilize the HubSpot CLI to build locally and more quickly add the same asset to multiple portals.

I will note that standalone modules that aren't inside a theme folder can be used on any drag and drop template (which all themes in the marketplace should be using). So you could have your client set up with a marketplace theme, but also build out your own modules separate from the theme for them to use.

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as the solution.

Alyssa Wilie Profile Image

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

Learn HubL | Get Marketing Insights

HubSpot Elite Solutions Partner
Lynton's HubSpot theme Rubric now available. Click to download.
0 Upvotes