CMS Development

evaldas
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

Downloading @marketplace assets is not allowed

Tried following the tutorial for child themes, but getting errors when using the CLI.

When trying to fetch the fields.json file to a child theme:

[ERROR] The request for "@marketplace/xxxxxx/xxxxxxxxx/fields.json" in account XXXXXXXX was forbidden.

[ERROR] Failed fetch of file "@marketplace/xxxxxx/xxxxxxxxx/fields.json" to "/Users/me/local-development-folder/" from the Design Manager

When trying to fetch a template or module to a child theme:

[ERROR] The request for "@marketplace/xxxxxx/xxxxxxxxx/any-template" in account XXXXXXXX was forbidden. Downloading @marketplace assets is not allowed.

Note:

• I can create child themes and clone assets to those child themes through the Design Manager in the same portal no problem, but the CLI forbids such activities. 
  • I can also fetch asstes from those child themes through the CLI without a problem, it's only the @marketplace folder.

What could be the reason for CLI not cooperating?

✔️ Did this post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
alyssamwilie
Recognized Expert | Elite Partner
Recognized Expert | Elite Partner

That article is a little over a year old so I imagine permissions for marketplace assets have changed since then. Allowing people to use CLI on marketplace assets would make it possible for people to download those assets to their computer and then upload them to other portals - which would essentially be stealing the assets since the assets are only licensed for the portal that downloaded it. Making it forbidden for users to use CLI on marketplace assets minimizes this risk.

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as the solution.

Alyssa Wilie Profile Image

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

Learn HubL | Get Marketing Insights

HubSpot Elite Solutions Partner
Lynton's HubSpot theme Rubric now available. Click to download.
evaldas

Thank you for your input. This is a good point and I agree that making it forbidden through the CLI minimizes risk in a way that it makes it less convenient for those sketchy activities. Definitely had seen instances of that in 3rd party theme marketplaces. 

I encounter themes that either have bugs (sometimes no time to wait for fixes from theme developers, if they ever respond) or need additional features (such as adding custom fonts to theme settings or editing modules to suit our needs). Updating theme’s assets directly is neither good (theme updates could wipe it out) nor is it actually possible if purchased through HubSpot marketplace. Having the ability to download assets through the CLI to a child theme would simply help with efficiency.

If it’s true that the rules have changed since the article was out, would be great for HubSpot to confirm and/or update that article so that we know what the latest rules are.

✔️ Did this post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes