CMS Development

utan

Does the CMS Hub work well for large sites?

SOLVE

Does CMS Hub work well for large sites? I couldn’t find large website examples by CMS Hub in my country.
I'm running a manufacturer's website and we are currently considering a revamp the website. It's made by JavaServer Pages and has about 60,000 products managed in PostgresSQL, and 300,000 members are managed in OracleDB. It is multilingual.
On the other hand, we've been using Hubspot and creating our blog and landing pages by Marketing Hub, and we'd like to see if it's possible to integrate the website itself as well. I would appreciate your advice!

1 Accepted solution
tjoyce
Solution
Recognized Expert | Elite Partner

SOLVE

@utan 

Short answer: No, but....
Long answer: I suggest the following to be the best approach for larger softwares / platforms.

Generally, there are 2 major reasons this question is asked (there are some outlier scenarios which I won't get into).

1. I bought HS because I know I need it and everyone tells me it's the "thing to do" for my business. I want to make sure I'm getting the most value out of my purchase so I can make sure the engine is a well oiled machine for lead gen.

2. What we have, currently works but, my marketing team needs to call my development team whenever they need to make changes, upload assets, or basically anything that requires putting code or pages up on a server.

The solution to both questions is to splinter your marketing assets from your user management, product management, ERP integrations and so on...

HS works best when you convert your public facing pages / assets like emails, website pages, landing pages, pdfs, forms, images, etc. to HubSpot assets. This gives your marketing department the chance to operate in a silo that doesn't require the bottleneck of making requests to the development team. 

There is much more depth and discussion to have when it comes to "un-handcuffing" the marketing department. I would recommend at least paying an agency partner for an hour of their time to peel back some of the layers of what kind of effort this would be and how to do it without creating an even bigger bottleneck.  I'm just a developer so, that consultant wouldn't be me but I can recommend a couple agencies that could at least give you an hour or 2 of time to help figure out the best approach or even if converting to CMS makes sense at all. There are scenarios where it's better to just leave the current processes in tact.

If this answer helped, please, mark as solved 😄

tim@belch.io | forms.belch.io | Design your own Beautiful HubSpot Forms; No coding necessary.

Drop by and say Hi to me on slack.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
Ntbrown
Contributor

SOLVE

Sure, if you want a slowly performing, poor metric, ad-hoc mess of an enterprise site the marketing team is going to mess with and royally screw up and make continously more incosistent from whatever design / system was provided until it's so bad it has to re-built.  That's the short answer. The long answer really isn't worth typing out.

0 Upvotes
tjoyce
Solution

SOLVE

@utan 

Short answer: No, but....
Long answer: I suggest the following to be the best approach for larger softwares / platforms.

Generally, there are 2 major reasons this question is asked (there are some outlier scenarios which I won't get into).

1. I bought HS because I know I need it and everyone tells me it's the "thing to do" for my business. I want to make sure I'm getting the most value out of my purchase so I can make sure the engine is a well oiled machine for lead gen.

2. What we have, currently works but, my marketing team needs to call my development team whenever they need to make changes, upload assets, or basically anything that requires putting code or pages up on a server.

The solution to both questions is to splinter your marketing assets from your user management, product management, ERP integrations and so on...

HS works best when you convert your public facing pages / assets like emails, website pages, landing pages, pdfs, forms, images, etc. to HubSpot assets. This gives your marketing department the chance to operate in a silo that doesn't require the bottleneck of making requests to the development team. 

There is much more depth and discussion to have when it comes to "un-handcuffing" the marketing department. I would recommend at least paying an agency partner for an hour of their time to peel back some of the layers of what kind of effort this would be and how to do it without creating an even bigger bottleneck.  I'm just a developer so, that consultant wouldn't be me but I can recommend a couple agencies that could at least give you an hour or 2 of time to help figure out the best approach or even if converting to CMS makes sense at all. There are scenarios where it's better to just leave the current processes in tact.

If this answer helped, please, mark as solved 😄

tim@belch.io | forms.belch.io | Design your own Beautiful HubSpot Forms; No coding necessary.

Drop by and say Hi to me on slack.

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @utan 

Welcome to the Community! 

I am going to introduce a few thought leaders into this conversation to get their opinions!

@tjoyce , @alyssamwilie @lynton , @btsp  I would love to see your opinions on using CMS Hub for large and complicated websites

0 Upvotes