CMS Development

Cristian_G
Participant | Diamond Partner

Directory Website: Hubspot CMS or Wordpress?

SOLVE

Thanks in advance for the guidance you can give me.

I have a new project for a client and I have to decide whether to develop it in Hubspot CMS or Wordpress.

It is a directory of suppliers with their respective contact information and product catalog. Users who need to access this information must pay a membership.

Also I have to set up an LMS and a forum because the site will offer online training.

thank you very much.

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
BarryGrennan
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Cristian,

I've worked with Wordpress for years and earned my HubSpot CMS developer certification this year.

I've build membership based directory sites on wordpress before using Buddypress, Paid Memberships Pro, etc.

I haven't had the chance to build one on HubSpot yet, but I believe it's a much cleaner solution.

For the directory itself HubDB is a quick and easy way to store and access that info vs something like user profiles or custom pages in Wordpress.

Hubspot also has membership and members content natively. I'd image you could use this to set up your Learning Management System also.

The only place I think you'd need to use a third party would be the forum, you can see here for setting that up: https://blog.hubspot.com/customers/bid/109315/installing-a-forum-using-tal-ki-on-the-hubspot-cms?_ga...

Coming from a Wordpress background where things can often feel cobbled together for big projects like this, Hubspot definitely feels like the cleaner solution, but it's definitely achievable in Wordpress also with plugins like Buddypress, Paid Memberships Pro, BBPress, etc.

View solution in original post

Venki
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Crisitian,
I built wordpress websites  before using Hubspot CMS.

You can do anything in wordpress and you got all the plugins

but the downside is you have to upgrade your Plugins , Wordpress , and Theme consistently.

Web security is also a concern.  
Once i tried to optimize the speed of my site using various plugins

but it crashed my site. 
You dont have a dedicated customer support for wordpress.
You have to take control of yourself.
If you are willing to go with these limits go with wordpress.
You can easily develop your site in the wordpress platform 
with all your requirements but these are the demerits I observed sofar.

With Hubspot you can achieve the same on your own with customized coding
or you can sort a help from others. I prefer Hubspot because of it's security, CMS customization and
dedicated support.

These are my observations! You can decide what suits you!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Venki
Contributor

SOLVE

All the best for you Cristian!

0 Upvotes
Cristian_G

SOLVE

Thank you BarryGrennan and Venki 

Your comments are very much in line with my experience in wordpress, so it seems that the best option will be to use the Hubspot CMS for this project. 

dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

@Cristian_G , 

Keep us up to date with how your site build goes!  We are always interested in seeing how the community builds things.

Another nice thing you have here is people like @Venki , @BarryGrennan  

Let us know if we can help you along the way.

Good luck out there!

BarryGrennan
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Agreed! I'd love to hear how it goes!

0 Upvotes
Venki
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Crisitian,
I built wordpress websites  before using Hubspot CMS.

You can do anything in wordpress and you got all the plugins

but the downside is you have to upgrade your Plugins , Wordpress , and Theme consistently.

Web security is also a concern.  
Once i tried to optimize the speed of my site using various plugins

but it crashed my site. 
You dont have a dedicated customer support for wordpress.
You have to take control of yourself.
If you are willing to go with these limits go with wordpress.
You can easily develop your site in the wordpress platform 
with all your requirements but these are the demerits I observed sofar.

With Hubspot you can achieve the same on your own with customized coding
or you can sort a help from others. I prefer Hubspot because of it's security, CMS customization and
dedicated support.

These are my observations! You can decide what suits you!

BarryGrennan
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Cristian,

I've worked with Wordpress for years and earned my HubSpot CMS developer certification this year.

I've build membership based directory sites on wordpress before using Buddypress, Paid Memberships Pro, etc.

I haven't had the chance to build one on HubSpot yet, but I believe it's a much cleaner solution.

For the directory itself HubDB is a quick and easy way to store and access that info vs something like user profiles or custom pages in Wordpress.

Hubspot also has membership and members content natively. I'd image you could use this to set up your Learning Management System also.

The only place I think you'd need to use a third party would be the forum, you can see here for setting that up: https://blog.hubspot.com/customers/bid/109315/installing-a-forum-using-tal-ki-on-the-hubspot-cms?_ga...

Coming from a Wordpress background where things can often feel cobbled together for big projects like this, Hubspot definitely feels like the cleaner solution, but it's definitely achievable in Wordpress also with plugins like Buddypress, Paid Memberships Pro, BBPress, etc.