CMS Development

zaugger

Deleting the author module on the blog template

SOLVE

I am a free user using the Quest theme. As a sole proprieter I don't need my facec plastered all over the site and would like to remove the Author modult on the bottom of the posts. Can someone help me do that easily? Thanks!

1 Accepted solution
Jnix284
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi Chris, no problem, happy to take a look at what we can do with a little CSS.

You'll need to add the code to your Site Header HTML so it applies to all blog posts:

<style>
.blog-post__author-section {
display:none;
}

Here's a link to our knowledge base with how to add the code to the site header HTML 

Unless you have a high subscriber count or plan to proactively encourage comments, I would turn off the comments to help shorten the page and focus more on your primary call to action for the post - just my opinion, but having an unused comment section doesn't look so good, but since you're using a facebook plugin maybe you have plans for this 🙂

For the spacing between the header and the title, it looks like this is being caused by the size of your logo in the header which is pushing it further down the page than the template is designed for.

My suggestion would be to either reduce the overall size of your logo, or even remove the quote bubble from the top and keep your brand name so it takes up less space, or use the quote bubble as an icon only - you could even look at changing it on scroll if the theme allows so that it switches from a smaller version of your full logo to just the icon on scroll.

If you don't want to change the logo, I can see if there's some margin or padding we can squeeze in with CSS, but might have to get back with you tomorrow when I can take a closer look at the code.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13
zaugger

SOLVE

Thanks so much, Jennifer! Here is the post: https://acornbizsolutions.com/making-an-oak-tree/hope-the-worry-killer

There are actually a few other things I'd like to change, like the spacing between the header and the title. I have been a WP guy, but Hubspot is quite a bit diffferent when it comes to customizing....at least in a free theme.  Thanks for weighing in!

Chris

0 Upvotes
Jnix284
Solution

SOLVE

Hi Chris, no problem, happy to take a look at what we can do with a little CSS.

You'll need to add the code to your Site Header HTML so it applies to all blog posts:

<style>
.blog-post__author-section {
display:none;
}

Here's a link to our knowledge base with how to add the code to the site header HTML 

Unless you have a high subscriber count or plan to proactively encourage comments, I would turn off the comments to help shorten the page and focus more on your primary call to action for the post - just my opinion, but having an unused comment section doesn't look so good, but since you're using a facebook plugin maybe you have plans for this 🙂

For the spacing between the header and the title, it looks like this is being caused by the size of your logo in the header which is pushing it further down the page than the template is designed for.

My suggestion would be to either reduce the overall size of your logo, or even remove the quote bubble from the top and keep your brand name so it takes up less space, or use the quote bubble as an icon only - you could even look at changing it on scroll if the theme allows so that it switches from a smaller version of your full logo to just the icon on scroll.

If you don't want to change the logo, I can see if there's some margin or padding we can squeeze in with CSS, but might have to get back with you tomorrow when I can take a closer look at the code.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

zaugger

SOLVE

Thanks! I'll definitely look at the article and get it done. And yes, I would LOVE to remove comments. Is that a CSS thing as well?

0 Upvotes
zaugger

SOLVE

Huh...I don't see templates here. I'm sure I am missing something. 

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 9.09.37 PM.png

0 Upvotes
zaugger

SOLVE

I can see the tabs you're referencing under "Blog" on the settings page, but there is no Site Header HTML there. Hmmmm......

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

SOLVE

ok, then it's a limitation for CMS Hub Free, you're not going to be able to modify the templates at all outside of the settings provided.

It might be worth looking at some other free themes with blog templats to see if there is one with more flexibility and features that will work better with your brand and needs, even if it's just for your blog.

Jnix284

SOLVE

Ah, Chris, I'm sorry, you won't be able to edit the code this way with HubSpot CMS Free. You might have to add it at the individual page/post level.

Can you see if you can add the code with these instructions to the blog post directly?

Jnix284

SOLVE

@zaugger  it doesn't look like the typical HubSpot comments used in settings, so you might need to check the template or theme settings to see if there is an option to turn it off, otherwise, we can try hiding it too.

this is how to turn off the HubSpot comments, but I don't know if that would work for this template.

zaugger

SOLVE

Thanks, Jennifer. I was able to toggle comments, but as you suspected, it doesn't do anything in this theme.

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

SOLVE

I'm sorry, if you're up for trying a new theme, Absolut by Kohorta is really nicely done with lots of options, I don't know if it will have all the features you want, but would be worth looking into as an option.

This article might also help you choose the right free theme.

Sorry for not realizing the limitations sooner and for taking up your time!

zaugger

SOLVE

Jennifer, you've been a GREAT help! Thanks so much!

Chris

Jnix284

SOLVE

You're welcome, definitely learned a few new things along the way too!

Jnix284

SOLVE

Hi @zaugger happy to help! Some themes have an option to turn off the author, if Quest doesn't, you can hide it with a little bit of CSS. Do you have a page link for a blog post?