CMS Development

sebastienroux
Participant

Customizing Open Graph data for a blog post

Hello everyone,

I would like to be able to customize the Open Graph data for every blog post, in order to specify an image, a title and a description that will be pulled when sharing to Facebook or Linkedin.

Is there a way to customize the open graph data for a specific blog post ?

I know it is possible to do it for a specific website page or landing page, using the "Head HTML" field in Advanced options, and I would like to be able to do the same thing for a blog post.

Thank you in advance for your answers !

5 Replies 5
MLadenburg
Contributor | Partner
Contributor | Partner

@sebastienroux ,

Did you ever add to the ideas forum? I'd like to upvote it if so.

JasonRosa
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @sebastienroux you should be able to set these without any code under the "Settings" tab of the blog post editor. You can find instructions for this here

0 Upvotes
sebastienroux
Participant

Hello @JasonRosa,

Thank you for your answer. 

I know it is possible to customize several settings for a blog post. The problem I have with these settings is that they are used both for SEO and the Open Graph data.

The featured image is used in the header of my blog post, in the post-listing page and as the OG image. It would be very useful to be able to choose a specific image when a post is shared on sociale media.

The meta description of my blog posts is usually longer than the length of a Facebook OG description and is not really used the same way: I need to optimize the meta descrpition for SEO and I need to use the OG description to encourage people to click on the post on Facebook or LinkedIn.

Also, customizing the OG Title and description can be useful when we reshare old articles and want to make them look like new.

Is there any way to seperate the OG data from the general settings of a blog post?

Thank you in advance for your answer

JasonRosa
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @sebastienroux thank you for the clarification! To my knowledge, there is no default way to do this using the drag and drop editor (likely possible in a coded template) without some really hacky workaround (if that even is possible). It might be worth adding the idea in the ideas forum though (https://community.hubspot.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/ideaslandingpage) to put it on HubSpot's radar as this seems like something that would be useful for multiple customers. 

0 Upvotes
sebastienroux
Participant

Thank you for your answer. I will add it in the ideas forum then !

0 Upvotes