CMS Development

aparnarevi
Participant

Custom RSS feed to pull Title, Job Discription, Salary and Location

SOLVE

Hi there. I am trying to work out how to create a custom RSS feed that pulls in the Title, Job Discription, Salary and Location. The current RSS module only pulls the Title and a "Read more"  link to the job vacancy.  Can somebody provide me a step by step guide as to how to do this.

RSS URL: bristolwater.current-vacancies.com/RSSFeeds/Vacancies/BRISTOLWAT?feedID=2EA560426363453DB4F4A8ED3333605C

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 11.31.15 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-22 at 11.31.39 AM.png

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Anton
Solution
Recognized Expert | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @aparnarevi

it seems like you want to build a job-portal, am I right? 

The default RSS module isn't really designed for stuff like this and as @dennisedson said - a HubDB solution would make much more sense here. And it's quite on the easier side.

You could also do some advance stuff like automaticly generated pages(single job pages) directly from HubDB. Imo you have two options if you go the HubDB way. 

1. manually maintaining the HubDB - recommended if you have not entries and want to do everything from within HubSpot 
  2. automaticly maintaining HubDB via custom HubDB API - recommended if you have a lot of job-offers, a hr-software where you place all jobs in and want to keep everything synced. the idea here would be to connect the HubDB API to your hr-software and let it update all of your rows everytime something changes in the 3rd party software. This can be a very neat solution but also may be very time consuming(depending on the API capabilities of the 3rd party software). If you're not as familiar with APIs I would recommend to let your/a developer do the job. 

You should start here: HubDB overview

If you want to just display all the job-titles as here the whole (custom) HubDB module should look like this:

{% set table = hubdb_table_rows(YOUR-HUBDB-ID, queryparam)%}
<div class="container">
<div class="row">
<div class="col-12">
<h2>{{module.headline}}</h2>
</div>
</div>
<div class="row">
{% for row in table %}
<div class="col-12 job-card">
<h5>{{row.job_title}}</h5>
<div class="row">
<div class="col-6">Vacancy Title</div>
<div class="col-6">{{row.job_title}}</div>
</div>
<div class="row">
<div class="col-6">Reference<div>
<div class="col-6">{{row.reference}}<div>
</div>
<div class="row">
<div class="col-6">Vacancy Location<div>
<div class="col-6">{{row.location}}<div>
</div>
<div class="row">
<div class="col-6">Salary<div>
<div class="col-6">{{row.salary}}<div>
</div>
<div class="row">
<div class="col-12"><a href="{{row.read_more_link}}" target="_blank" class="read-more-button">More info</a><div>
</div>
</div>
{% endfor %}
</div>
</div>

{{ require_css }}
<style>
.read-more-button{
text-transform:uppercase;
text-align:right;
}
@media screen and (max-widht:480px){
.read-more-button{
text-align:left;}
}

</style>
{{ require_css }}

you don't need the stylings in the module as long as you a) don't want to be able to apply style changes directly from the module(not recommended) or if you use global CSS classes. 

If you want to do a dynamic HubDB solution (with subpages that are created via HubDB)

I suggest to create a whole own template (not module). A good start should be this article.

So basicly the whole dynamic page is a big "if-loop" like "if overview page - show this content from the hubdb. If not overview - show this content from the hubdb". 

If you go the automatic HubDB way - it's the same. The only difference is that you'll need to write/create a connection between your RSS output and the HubDB API

hope this helps, 

best,

Anton

Anton Bujanowski Signature

View solution in original post

Anton
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @aparnarevi,

you'll need to convert your RSS to a CSV (if you don't have it already)

As always there are several ways - personaly I would do it like this:

paste your URL in this online-tool, download the CSV and import it into HubDB. 

You should create all the required columns in HubDB first since you'll need to pair/match them.

best, 

Anton

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Anton

SOLVE

@dennisedson yeah... thanks 😅

dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

@Anton two solutions in one thread! 

Anton
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @aparnarevi,

you'll need to convert your RSS to a CSV (if you don't have it already)

As always there are several ways - personaly I would do it like this:

paste your URL in this online-tool, download the CSV and import it into HubDB. 

You should create all the required columns in HubDB first since you'll need to pair/match them.

best, 

Anton

aparnarevi
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Anton,

Thank you for taking your time out to explain the entire process. I will have a go at this using the HubDB as advised.
Will come back in case of any queries 🙂

Regards

Aparna Revi

Anton
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @aparnarevi

it seems like you want to build a job-portal, am I right? 

The default RSS module isn't really designed for stuff like this and as @dennisedson said - a HubDB solution would make much more sense here. And it's quite on the easier side.

You could also do some advance stuff like automaticly generated pages(single job pages) directly from HubDB. Imo you have two options if you go the HubDB way. 

1. manually maintaining the HubDB - recommended if you have not entries and want to do everything from within HubSpot 
  2. automaticly maintaining HubDB via custom HubDB API - recommended if you have a lot of job-offers, a hr-software where you place all jobs in and want to keep everything synced. the idea here would be to connect the HubDB API to your hr-software and let it update all of your rows everytime something changes in the 3rd party software. This can be a very neat solution but also may be very time consuming(depending on the API capabilities of the 3rd party software). If you're not as familiar with APIs I would recommend to let your/a developer do the job. 

You should start here: HubDB overview

If you want to just display all the job-titles as here the whole (custom) HubDB module should look like this:

{% set table = hubdb_table_rows(YOUR-HUBDB-ID, queryparam)%}
<div class="container">
<div class="row">
<div class="col-12">
<h2>{{module.headline}}</h2>
</div>
</div>
<div class="row">
{% for row in table %}
<div class="col-12 job-card">
<h5>{{row.job_title}}</h5>
<div class="row">
<div class="col-6">Vacancy Title</div>
<div class="col-6">{{row.job_title}}</div>
</div>
<div class="row">
<div class="col-6">Reference<div>
<div class="col-6">{{row.reference}}<div>
</div>
<div class="row">
<div class="col-6">Vacancy Location<div>
<div class="col-6">{{row.location}}<div>
</div>
<div class="row">
<div class="col-6">Salary<div>
<div class="col-6">{{row.salary}}<div>
</div>
<div class="row">
<div class="col-12"><a href="{{row.read_more_link}}" target="_blank" class="read-more-button">More info</a><div>
</div>
</div>
{% endfor %}
</div>
</div>

{{ require_css }}
<style>
.read-more-button{
text-transform:uppercase;
text-align:right;
}
@media screen and (max-widht:480px){
.read-more-button{
text-align:left;}
}

</style>
{{ require_css }}

you don't need the stylings in the module as long as you a) don't want to be able to apply style changes directly from the module(not recommended) or if you use global CSS classes. 

If you want to do a dynamic HubDB solution (with subpages that are created via HubDB)

I suggest to create a whole own template (not module). A good start should be this article.

So basicly the whole dynamic page is a big "if-loop" like "if overview page - show this content from the hubdb. If not overview - show this content from the hubdb". 

If you go the automatic HubDB way - it's the same. The only difference is that you'll need to write/create a connection between your RSS output and the HubDB API

hope this helps, 

best,

Anton

aparnarevi
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Anton,

I came back rather quickly to you lol.

I was wondering if you could guide me with some steps as to how I could import the below rss link feed into HubDB to get me started.

https://bristolwater.current-vacancies.com/RSSFeeds/Vacancies/BRISTOLWAT?feedID=2EA560426363453DB4F4...

Once I have achieved that then I can build a job listing module that will take the output from the HubDB table and list them.

Any advice would be appreciated 🙂

Regards

Aparna Revi

dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hi@aparnarevi !

Here is a link with all the available parameters for the RSS feed tag which I do not believe will suit your needs.  Unsure of your exact situation, but I believe I would push you towards HubDB where you will have more flexibility and control.

@Anton,  what do you think (and yell at me if I am wrong 🙃)

0 Upvotes