CMS Development

CST
Participant

Custom Module - SMART content not enabled

SOLVE

Hi fellow Hubspotters,

Today I found that the default field types for custom modules don't seem to support SMART content anymore.

Any suggestions what I might be missing or confirmation this is indeed disabled?

Thanks!

2 Accepted solutions
CST
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for your reply Stephanie.

I have no idea why they stopped supporting this valuable feature. It used to work perfectly before V2 was released. I wonder why it stopped working for custom modules while it still works for the default modules, which basically are the exact same modules.

I also don't understand why it's no longer possible to edit inline like I can with the default modules. Dropping these two features is, in my opinion, a huge deterioration for the UX.

But that's a hole new topic Smiley Tongue

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
Stephanie-OG
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

To the best of my knowledge and based on the Ideas thread above and the comments on the HubL Slack group, Smart Content has never been supported in custom modules. 

That being said, I haven't used V1 in a long time and did a lot less development at the time, so I can't remember how Smart Content used to work then.

Stephanie O'Gay GarciaHubSpot Design / Development

Website | Contact

If this helped, please mark it as the solution to your question, thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
Stephanie-OG
Key Advisor

SOLVE

I hadn't actually noticed before but can confirm that when I use a Rich Text field in a custom module it doesn't support smart content on the template. 

Unfortunately it appears this has been the case for a while based on this Ideas post - I'd recommend upvoting it there. 

Website | Contact

0 Upvotes
CST
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for your reply Stephanie.

I have no idea why they stopped supporting this valuable feature. It used to work perfectly before V2 was released. I wonder why it stopped working for custom modules while it still works for the default modules, which basically are the exact same modules.

I also don't understand why it's no longer possible to edit inline like I can with the default modules. Dropping these two features is, in my opinion, a huge deterioration for the UX.

But that's a hole new topic Smiley Tongue

0 Upvotes
Stephanie-OG
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Someone just asked on the HubL Slack group and they gave a more detailed answeras to why it's not supported: 

custom module rich text fields have never supported smart content and correct they still do not

it’s a heavily requested feature and something they’ve been trying to figure out how to do properly - with how complex custom modules can be it’s not trivial to make smart content possible in them
the unfortunate workaround is to have to use the default rich text module that comes with HubSpot, for that text

yea, because there’s a bunch of different ways they could handle it (indivudal fields could be smart and have conditions, or the whole module could be smart and have conditions as a whole.

The interface could get really complicated

Hopefully it'll be added soon!

Website | Contact

0 Upvotes
Teun
Recognized Expert | Diamond Partner
Recognized Expert | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Is there any ETA on this? We mainly use custom modules to develop Hubspot websites, but this makes our live really hard. It kinda forces us to use default modules instead of using our optimized custom modules.

Learn more about HubSpot by following me on LinkedIn or YouTube

Did my answer solve your issue? Help the community by marking it as the solution.

jdgannon1
Participant

SOLVE
Same here, my company is at the point where this is a necessity. Do you or anyone know if this will come out soon?!!
CST
Participant

SOLVE

Dear Stephanie,

thank you so much for your research and reply and sorry for keeping this post active, knowing there's another active thread about this topic.

The only reason why I'm keeping this open is because I'm confused by the fact that you say that SMART contact has never been supported by hubspot eventhough we have been using it in custom modules in our emails.

0 Upvotes
Stephanie-OG
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

To the best of my knowledge and based on the Ideas thread above and the comments on the HubL Slack group, Smart Content has never been supported in custom modules. 

That being said, I haven't used V1 in a long time and did a lot less development at the time, so I can't remember how Smart Content used to work then.

Website | Contact

0 Upvotes