CMS Development

tmcmillan99
Contributor | Elite Partner

Consequences for converting existing module to global?

Client has a gallery module that they would like to convert to be global. I know I can download it to my local dev environment and convert it to be global.

However, when I upload it back to the client's portal, will it keep all of the images/info being currently used in the module? 

I was hoping to test it in a sandbox but I don't think website pages and content get copied over to a sandbox account. They have a large number of images being used in the module so I don't want to risk losing them by not somehow testing it first. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry McMillan

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
Jnix284
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

Hi @tmcmillan99 we typically create global modules with a unique name from the original module and upload as a new global module to avoid any issues with the current module/pages - for example, if it is used on two different pages with different content. The content would have to be rebuilt in the global module this way, but it gives them access to a global version and they still have the regular module to use for other pages as needed.

I have never tested what happens if you replace a module that already exists, have you @Anton ?

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

tmcmillan99

@Jnix284 
Thanks for the reply. Generally, I would follow that same procedure and create a new seperate module to be global. However, the client is wanting to use the existing module on other pages and retain the images that have already been added. Re-adding all of the images in a new global module would be a significant lift.  However, that might be the only solution available. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a good way to test it without being in the live environment and taking a chance the module resets when I step on it with the new global version.
I wish we could include content when creating a sandbox to cover these types of scenarios. 

Terry

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

@tmcmillan99 until HubSpot makes creating global modules easier (at least via design tools and not the CLI, but better if non-devs can create in the page editor), I think having to rebuild content is somewhat par for the course unfortunately...

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin