CMS Development

ziadi
Contributor

Completely turn off mobile pages and switch to AMP on blogs?

Hello, I am looking for a way to completely turn off mobile website pages and switch to AMP (for blogs only). Currently, we have AMP turned on for all our blogs and Hubspot automatically sets a canonical link to original url.

For example: www.example.com/blog?hs_amp=True has canonical url set to www.example.com/blog

This is done so that search crawlers don't see duplicate pages, which is awesome!

Google is rolling out a new update for old websites created before 2019 where they will be switched to "mobile-first" index, this affects our website. In addition, they've announced that Google Web Vitals (for everyone else) to now be used for ranking signals for a mobile-first environment. This means that if the speed of your site on mobile is bad, then it will affect your desktop rankings as well.

We are currently running into a problem where Google Search Console does not see AMP pages as for mobile as seperate pages. I reached out to Google and they said that if you have regular mobile pages accessible from somewhere in the site, and AMP as an option, google crawler will take into consideration both pages (and not mark them as duplicate) but the one that will be used for ranking is the "mobile page" and not AMP.

Here's the tricky part, in order to bypass that when using AMP, is to completely turn off regular mobile pages and have AMP the only page accessible via mobile whether you are coming from a search engine or your own website.

Ultimately, we want AMP to be the master for our blogs and not vice versa... is this possible? 

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hello @ziadi ,

You can manually update the canonical url in the post advanced settings, but I not confident this is going to solve your issue or even it it does, it will be a manual process. 

I believe this might be a topic worthy of adding to the ideas board.  Keeping up with Google is certainly fun 🙂 

Thanks and good luck!

0 Upvotes
ziadi
Contributor

Hi Dennis, thanks for your suggestion. I figured there was no easy way to do this, but updating the canonical on the AMP page will affect desktop and mobile so that's out of the question for us Smiley Sad

Yeah keeping up with google can definitely be a rabbit hole sometimes! Lol.