CMS Development

CBold
Participant

Can't access drag & drop for building website

SOLVE

We just hired a developer to build us a Hubspot website, who says they are unable to access the drag & drop feature through our plan, which is the CRM Bundle / Starter plan.

According to them, we need to upgrade to the Professional plan — even though our plan advertizes drag & drop editor functionality. They've built several Hubspot sites, so I'm not inclined to doubt them.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what Hubspot means by "drag & drop editor" in the Starter Plan description?

Can someone here clarify for me, I am brand new to Hubspot.

Thank you for your time.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Anton
Solution
Recognized Expert

SOLVE

Hi @CBold

welcome to HubSpot and the Community. 🎉

what do you want to achive and want did the dev(s) tell you exactly?

Drag&Drop(Short D&D) features are available in every plan since this is a key-feature. Even in the free plans(limited to webpages but available).

So I'd assume that's nonsense. Don't want to talk bad about anybody but if they are partners they could tell you to upgrade so the get a higher "score" in the "partner ranking" since you pay more for pro-plan. Can't imagine anyone would do something like that - but you never know. 

Also - you don't need D&D to create templates. You can always - regardless of plan - go the CLI way. If the devs can't do that - they're no real devs. Sure this is a bit more of work for them but a good dev won't work just in the design-tools or casual D&D.

Working just in D&D will also have a big impact on your further workflow. Like if you would like to have several pages with (almost) the same layout if you don't have a proper template but just a D&D page you would have to duplicate the page instead of just clicking on "create new page". From my experience it's not a very good approach. 

p.s. It could also be a permission thing - check them - but NEVER give (super) admin roles and never some delete/export abilities. You never know who's on the other side.

edit: If you want a good and easy start you can check the marketplace for good themes. There are many of them out there. My recommendation: Invest some bucks. A high quality theme can cost up to 1000$ but this will be - in most cases - be cheaper than a good dev. 

Last tipp: If they told you that they have done some HubSpot - they should have somekind of a theme already ready(hopefully not just plain boilerplate adjustments). Don't get me wrong, the boilerplate is great for start something but a good dev/partner writes his own theme 😉

best,

Anton

Anton Bujanowski Signature

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
CBold
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Anton thank you for your detailed response! I hired this developer based on their Upwork ratings & resume, to build a Hubspot site per the designs provided by our client.  The dev did say they can work without drag & drop but would prefer to use it in this case, if possible. I just conferred with my business partner and the conclusion is there are permissions issues due to our being very new to Hubspot. Hopefully we can resolve them tomorrow. Thank you again for all the info, I will tuck it away in the memory banks!

Cheers

0 Upvotes
Anton
Solution
Recognized Expert

SOLVE

Hi @CBold

welcome to HubSpot and the Community. 🎉

what do you want to achive and want did the dev(s) tell you exactly?

Drag&Drop(Short D&D) features are available in every plan since this is a key-feature. Even in the free plans(limited to webpages but available).

So I'd assume that's nonsense. Don't want to talk bad about anybody but if they are partners they could tell you to upgrade so the get a higher "score" in the "partner ranking" since you pay more for pro-plan. Can't imagine anyone would do something like that - but you never know. 

Also - you don't need D&D to create templates. You can always - regardless of plan - go the CLI way. If the devs can't do that - they're no real devs. Sure this is a bit more of work for them but a good dev won't work just in the design-tools or casual D&D.

Working just in D&D will also have a big impact on your further workflow. Like if you would like to have several pages with (almost) the same layout if you don't have a proper template but just a D&D page you would have to duplicate the page instead of just clicking on "create new page". From my experience it's not a very good approach. 

p.s. It could also be a permission thing - check them - but NEVER give (super) admin roles and never some delete/export abilities. You never know who's on the other side.

edit: If you want a good and easy start you can check the marketplace for good themes. There are many of them out there. My recommendation: Invest some bucks. A high quality theme can cost up to 1000$ but this will be - in most cases - be cheaper than a good dev. 

Last tipp: If they told you that they have done some HubSpot - they should have somekind of a theme already ready(hopefully not just plain boilerplate adjustments). Don't get me wrong, the boilerplate is great for start something but a good dev/partner writes his own theme 😉

best,

Anton

Anton Bujanowski Signature