CMS Development

SBurnett28

CSS Custom Properties and Theme Fields

SOLVE

Hi there,

I'm trying to convert the variables in the theme-overrides file to custom properties however I'm having a specific issue with the font values where, "x.font.variant" for font variants containing a font weight AND a font style (like 700 italic) are being output as "700italic" as one singular value rather than a space separated value. So when I try to use the custom variable in a CSS font property it obviously doesn't understand 700italic as it's supposed to be "700 italic 16px/1.5 arial" for example. I tried doing somrthing like, "x.font.font_style.font_weight" among other things but it doesn't let me target the individual font styles inside the HubL styles variable.

I thought I might have to hide the variation field option (if possible) and instead add font weight/font style as individual option fields, but some of the fonts don't have certain variations e.g. light+italic, or semi-bold, so I don't want someone to mistakenly select that option and not see a change if that particular font doesn't have those options.

Is there a way I'm missing so that I can target specifically the weight or style individually?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
alyssamwilie
Solution
Recognized Expert | Elite Partner

SOLVE

@SBurnett28 This is how I create a font shorthand from a theme font field.

1. I create a seperate variable for style by checking the variant and setting my variable as "italic" if the variant contains "italic" otherwise it's set to "normal".
2. Then for the weight I use |replace to just completely remove "italic" and change "regular" to 400 (you could just keep it as regular, but I like using the numbers instead lol).

{% set style = "italic" if theme.text_font.variant is containing "italic" else "normal" %}

--{{ slug }}-font: {{
    style
    ~" "~theme.text_font.variant|replace('italic','')|replace('regular','400')
    ~" "~theme.text_font.size~"px"
    ~"/"~theme.line_height
    ~" "~font_stack(theme.text_font.font, theme.text_font.fallback) }};

Would be nice if Hubspot just separated those out to begin with as "style" and "weight" since that's how it's used in CSS....

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as the solution.

Alyssa Wilie Profile Image

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

Learn HubL | Get Marketing Insights

HubSpot Elite Solutions Partner
Lynton's HubSpot theme Rubric now available. Click to download.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
alyssamwilie
Solution

SOLVE

@SBurnett28 This is how I create a font shorthand from a theme font field.

1. I create a seperate variable for style by checking the variant and setting my variable as "italic" if the variant contains "italic" otherwise it's set to "normal".
2. Then for the weight I use |replace to just completely remove "italic" and change "regular" to 400 (you could just keep it as regular, but I like using the numbers instead lol).

{% set style = "italic" if theme.text_font.variant is containing "italic" else "normal" %}

--{{ slug }}-font: {{
    style
    ~" "~theme.text_font.variant|replace('italic','')|replace('regular','400')
    ~" "~theme.text_font.size~"px"
    ~"/"~theme.line_height
    ~" "~font_stack(theme.text_font.font, theme.text_font.fallback) }};

Would be nice if Hubspot just separated those out to begin with as "style" and "weight" since that's how it's used in CSS....

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as the solution.

Alyssa Wilie Profile Image

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

Learn HubL | Get Marketing Insights

HubSpot Elite Solutions Partner
Lynton's HubSpot theme Rubric now available. Click to download.
SBurnett28

SOLVE

Hey @alyssamwilie 

That's a great trick actually, I might try that, thank you. I'm also noticing a bit of weirdness when it comes to the font fallbacks where certain fonts have a fallback baked in already (can't remember which ones off the top of my head - I want to say Georgia or Andale Mono) and so when I use "font.font, font.fallback" the fallback is empty, meaning I have an extra comma just floating around which breaks the entire property. Have you noticed this? I managed to work around it by using an if statement but just thought it was mildly annoying (much like the font variants among other things...) to deal with. I don't like using a ton of HubL if I don't have to because I'm paranoid about performance!

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

I feel like @Gonzalo will have some thoughts on this!

0 Upvotes