CMS Development

patrickhummel
Colaborador(a)

CMS - How can I define the site structure / Child-pages

Hello all!

We are really searching a possibility to define a site structure. We dont know how to creat child-pages, that we can modify parent pages or site names without losting our link-connection.

You are able to define childs manually but if you are changing the link or name of the mother page the child-page has a dead parent link. 

Is there any relative possibility to structure the HubSpot CMS?

6 Respostas 6
ggieri
Membro

Hi there, 

Did someone had any update about creating automated link-connection between child & parent pages on HubSpot ? 

I have a lot of "testimonials" pages to link to our "clients" page. And I would have loved not to do it manually 🙂

Thanks, 

Benoit

0 Avaliação positiva
Jsum
Conselheiro(a) de destaque

@ggieri,

have you tried dynamic pages using HubDB? Here's a tutorial: https://designers.hubspot.com/docs/tutorials/how-to-build-dynamic-pages-with-hubdb

Need help? Hire Us Here

0 Avaliação positiva
Kmoloo
Top colaborador(a) | Parceiro Elite
Top colaborador(a) | Parceiro Elite

I'm also looking for the best way to update the URL of a parent page (for SEO) without having to rely on redirects as they're bad for SEO.

There are hyperlnks within pages that link to product (child) pages.  If I change a tier 1 page xyz.com/tier1/product1 and it becomes tier1-keyword, how can I get links that exist to product pages to also update to xyz.com/tier1-keyword/product1?

I'm hoping the automatic 301 redirect will make sure that if someone goes to /tier1/product1 they'll be redirected to /tier1-keyword/product1, but also want the links to be updated.  Is there a global find & replace tool that I can use for Hubspot like with Wordpress?  

Any help/advice is appreciated, thanks.

0 Avaliação positiva
Jsum

@patrickhummel,

There is no real child parent relationship model in the Hubspot COS. Because of this, you can manually create urls to have "teirs":

www.website.com/tier1/teir3/page

However, there is no real relation ship between these teirs so if you change the url or title of a "parent" page the "child" page will not change. Also it will not break because, again, there is not real connection. If you want to change the url to match the page title of the "parent" page you will have to do it manually and per page. 

There is a parent/child relationship when creating teirs in an advanced menu, but the relationship is specific to the actual advanced menu, not the pages themselves. I have used this for cases where there is a side bar menu of categories and sub categories. It can be used to have only the subcategory pages for the main category you are viewing to show, while the other category's sub category menus would be closed.

Need help? Hire Us Here

0 Avaliação positiva
patrickhummel
Colaborador(a)

Ok, but would you not agree that it is not possible to create a enterprise website with many layers in a non-relationship CMS system? I cannot guarantee that the links wont change and changing hundreds of links is too much work.

0 Avaliação positiva
Jsum

@patrickhummel,

I have built many many websites, with more than a few being 100+ pages. While I agree that having these relationships can be useful I can't agree that it is impossible to build a website like this.

First off, why are your links changing? That is bad seo. are you creating redirects when your links change? The last thing you want is for a potential customer to bookmark a page on your site only to try and convert later and find a 404 page because your link changed. I put a lot of time and effort into planning the pages to the websites I build, using tools like google sheets and coggle.it. I have never been in a position where I have needed to change a url after the fact on a level you are talking about.

Also changing the url of a page is only going to require you to change that url on the pages it is linked on. If it's linked in an advanced menu, say in the header or footer, that link will update automatically. If it isn't a navigation link and you are linking the same page on hundreds of pages then you should probably use a global module anyways. 

Then there is the joy of being a developer. several years ago, as development intern, I spent three weeks copying and pasting content for a banking site from one cms to another. Even now, as the owner of a development company, I occasionally have to pull all nighters doing tedious and monotonous copy and paste type jobs for my clients. If you stack Hubspots pros and cons against any other cms you are going to find that having to change hundreds of links on a site doesn't come close to out weighing the benefits of using Hubspot. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. 

Need help? Hire Us Here