Bold and Underline Hyperlinks

SOLVE
Highlighted
Top Contributor

Hello wonderful community. I added some styling to our hyperlinks to BOLD and UNDERLINE  all hyperlinks on our website, however, i dont want the menu to be bolded and underlined. Can anyone help with this? https://www.dowcoinc.com

I would also like to change the color of the "work with us" link in the footer. See about us page for footer: https://www.dowcoinc.com/about-us its not as easy as going into the editor to update......

footer image.png

Can anyone help?

Much appreciated!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Advisor

Hi @ErinKas

tried it in the chrome inspector.

It should be enough to simply delete the !important from

a:link, a:visited, a:active{
text-decoration: underline !important;}

(you'll find it in line 833)

the !important "rule" is the sledgehammer method which should be used only in "emergency" cases because it will overwrite every other (in your case)

text-decoration: SOME-STYLE;

which you apply to a link-element(a:link...)

If you don't want to delete the "!important"(not really recommended):

To get the navigation links to "normal"-state find

.custom-menu-primary .hs-menu-wrapper.hs-menu-flow-horizontal>ul li a

(It's in line 914) and add

text-decoration: none !important;
font-weight:normal !important;

(the !important is nessary to overwrite the existing !important rule from the a:link..)

---

I've taken a look to the New_Symphony-style.css and have some questions:

- do you really need all of the fonts which are imported in the first 33 lines of it?

Because: There more fonts you import, the slower/worse the page speed can get. 

So, if you don't use them - delete the. But don't delete the first one(.../font-awesome.css), this is the font which is used for all of the icons. It's a little bit outdated, but if it came with the theme then you shouldn't replace it Smiley Wink

regards,

Anton

check Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
4 Replies
Community Manager

Hi @ErinKas,

I want to tag a few subject matter experts into the conversation: @Anton@mgrubbs@Simon_Goldie do you have any tips for Erin? 

Thanks,
Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Advisor

Hi @ErinKas

tried it in the chrome inspector.

It should be enough to simply delete the !important from

a:link, a:visited, a:active{
text-decoration: underline !important;}

(you'll find it in line 833)

the !important "rule" is the sledgehammer method which should be used only in "emergency" cases because it will overwrite every other (in your case)

text-decoration: SOME-STYLE;

which you apply to a link-element(a:link...)

If you don't want to delete the "!important"(not really recommended):

To get the navigation links to "normal"-state find

.custom-menu-primary .hs-menu-wrapper.hs-menu-flow-horizontal>ul li a

(It's in line 914) and add

text-decoration: none !important;
font-weight:normal !important;

(the !important is nessary to overwrite the existing !important rule from the a:link..)

---

I've taken a look to the New_Symphony-style.css and have some questions:

- do you really need all of the fonts which are imported in the first 33 lines of it?

Because: There more fonts you import, the slower/worse the page speed can get. 

So, if you don't use them - delete the. But don't delete the first one(.../font-awesome.css), this is the font which is used for all of the icons. It's a little bit outdated, but if it came with the theme then you shouldn't replace it Smiley Wink

regards,

Anton

check Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
Top Contributor

@Anton!!!!!!! Thank you Thank You Thank You. This is perfect and worked fantastically! 

I did notice the massive amounts of font at the top of the css. Whats the best way to make sure they are not in use before I remove them? Any suggestions? Thank you again for that fix!!!!

0 Upvotes
Advisor

@ErinKas, glad to help you. 

I think the best way would be to

- open the New_Symphony-style.css in the design manager

- press STRG+F (or CMD+F on a mac) to open the search function

- search for every "font-family" inside the css

- write down which one is used and in which font-weight(normal, bold, 300,400 ...)

- after you have found every "font-family" inside the css, scroll back to the "massive amount of fonts"

- delete every font which you haven't written down

Also you could go to fonts.google.com, search for every font you use, select them with the font-weight you (want to) use and grab only one 

@import

link.

Note: FontAwesome isn't availible on google. Like I've mentioned in the previous post, just leave it as it is.

If you want you can load a new version by google for "FontAwesome 4 CDN", grab a link and replace the current FontAwesome link with it.

regards,

Anton

0 Upvotes