CMS Development

VeeTardrew
Participant

Blog Listing Page for Specific HubSpot Hosted Blog

PLEASE HELP!! Just about tearing my hair out trying to do a 'migration' of our existing HubSpot blog to a new one in line with our new website we're launching in T minus 3 days!!! 

The developers who set up our new templates have coded the listing page in such a way that it's pulling in our existing live blog posts (on old template) as links. This is not giving me a way to really test and QA of what it's going to 'act' like live. 

I suppose there's a secondary question in here too ... in what is the best approach to actually do the migration itself. For now, I'm cloning the post, then moving it to the 'new' Hubspot blog, but I'm also worried that I'm creating an absolute web of mess in terms of redirects as I wouldn't want the final product to have the additional URL subcategory. 

Any assistance is VERY MUCH appreciated as I've trawled these boards and tried every variation of my question as a search query I can think of. 

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
narmstrong
Contributor | Platinum Partner

Are your "blogs" on the same Hubspot portal?

If they are why not clone a couple of your posts from the old blog then test  your Listing/Single templates at w/e temperary blog you want to use, then when you go live swap out the new templates with the old ones? This should save you from having to redirect anything.

Let me know if this isn't what youre trying to do.

Best of luck.

Noah Armstrong | TSL Marketing
Senior Developer
6085 Marshalee Dr| Suite 100 | Elkridge, MD 21075
Contact Us

TSL Marketing
0 Upvotes
VeeTardrew
Participant

Yes they're on the same portal, but the new template requires quite extensive reformatting, etc. So I have to go into each post and ensure everything is correct. 

The listing page is still pulling in the live post from the other blog which is on the same subdomain, but with no subdirectory. I'm not sure what w/e means ... 

0 Upvotes
narmstrong

w/e (What Ever).

Do you have a link to the preview?

I assume that all the blog post single posts are formatted the same?

If this is the case why not clone 3 of them to blog.mysite.com/temp-blog (new Blog) and then strap your templates to those to see a "live version." Your single posts would exist at blog.mysite.com/temp-blog/post-slug

If this works it should work for you to strap these templates to the "old blog" when you are ready for migration.

In case you dont know you can make/delete a new blog under Settings -> Website -> Blog -> Create New Blog/Delete Blog

Dont forget to give your blog a url (for example temp-blog) here under Blog root URL in the General settings.

Then under Templates in this section put your new Single Posts/Listing Page templates on and you should be able to see them from your new listing page when you click on them. This should allow you to Q/A the single posts. If they format for a few and they all have the same reformatted layout, it should work for all of them.

Hopefully that puts you on the right track.

Senior Developer
Contact Us

TSL Marketing
0 Upvotes
VeeTardrew
Participant

Oh gosh ... I feel old now .. re: w/e! 

This is the blog listing 'view all' page: https://blog.bitstocks.com/2020-blog

You'll see that the posts all link to the live version and not the 2020-blog one ... What am I doing wrong???

I  wanted to post a single post but apparently, the word bit coin is banned, and it's in our blog title ... hilarious! That's our business. 

I think I'm mostly on your track, but at the same time, our new blog template / design is a complicated one, where I have to hide modules on some etc. 

I have the new blog, so what I can't understand is why it's pulling in the LIVE blog posts (root domain) and not the newly created ones. 

I appreciate you trying to help me, though. 

0 Upvotes
narmstrong

Let me see if I can run this back by you and make sure we are both on the same page.

The url https://blog.bitstocks.com/2020-blog is a new blog you made under Settings -> Website -> Blog right?

But when you click on the links it is taking you to the old design eg https://blog.bitstocks.com/bcoin-is-not-a-cryptocurrency-its-much-better

They wont let you say bcoin here I guess causes an error

If the above is true what does it say under Settings -> Website -> Blog -> Templates -> Template for Blog Posts? Is it your new template for the single posts?

If this all looks good but you are still seeing the old design, for single posts in your new blog did you set the url to be different than the old one under settings perhaps you didnt set the right blo? eg if this is the old one

https://blog.bitstocks.com/bcoin-is-not-a-cryptocurrency-its-much-better

maybe you should set the new url to be 

https://blog.bitstocks.com/2020-blog/bcoin-is-not-a-cryptocurrency-its-much-better

Hopefully that helps.

Senior Developer
Contact Us

TSL Marketing