Apostrophe changes to unrecognisable symbol (blank square) when uploading csv to HubDB

SOLVE
Regular Contributor

When I upload a csv file to HubDB where text includes apostrophes (') render as an unrecognisable symbol when appearing on the live webpage.

e.g. "aren't" uploaded to a "text" column renders with a blank square symbol in the apostrophe's place. (image below)

arent.PNG

I have tried to upload to a text and a rich-text column where the issue has occured on both occasions.

When I edit the text within the HubDB table, changing the symbol to an apostrophe it correctly appears on the live webpage. The issue only seems to arise when importing a file into HubDB.

How can I ensure this will not happen on an csv upload?

**Update** Resolved

When entering data into Excel before upload, the data was copy+pasted, as values.

Needed to manually type out.

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
HubSpot Moderator

Hey Cameron, thanks for sharing how you solved this!

From what I've come across with apostrophes, there are two symbols for it  or ' ), so the one you imported may not have been accepted and rendered as a blank symbol.

Encoding/data format occassionally comes up for contact imports (.csv), and what we recommend is encoding as UTF-8. If that happens again, this might be worth a shot.

0 Upvotes
1 Reply 1
Highlighted
HubSpot Moderator

Hey Cameron, thanks for sharing how you solved this!

From what I've come across with apostrophes, there are two symbols for it  or ' ), so the one you imported may not have been accepted and rendered as a blank symbol.

Encoding/data format occassionally comes up for contact imports (.csv), and what we recommend is encoding as UTF-8. If that happens again, this might be worth a shot.

0 Upvotes