CMS Development

FabianRichter
Contributor

Accessing content.keyword section for pages

SOLVE

Hi,
currently I am working on a solution to add automatically related content from our website (not only related blog posts) into a related content carousel. At this moment this module works with selecting following functionality:

• related blog posts (dynamically) or
  • recent blog posts (dynamically) and not required
  • related pages (manually, like pillar pages, white papers, event pages)

At this point I started thinking about adding related pages also dynamically by keywords/tags as it works on the blog. My first idea was to use the meta-keyword functionality, wich is not the best solution for non-developers, but might work. So I started to fill the additional head html under advanced website settings with the meta key 

<meta name="keywords" content="dispatching, test">

This way I could access the keywords in my modules. But I feel like this is a bit dirty and I asked myself if it would be possible to insert the unused JSON-branches like content.keywords, content.meta_keywords, ... I found in the developer infos, which are empty or null. I would also appreciate a suggestion to make the keywords-input easier for content editors - even if we could input the keywords by adding them into a module. Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks in advance!
Fabian

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Anton
Solution
Recognized Expert

SOLVE

Hi @FabianRichter

to make your content editors lifes easier a possible solution could be:

create a new module(not global) with a single text field(not rich-text) and enable the repeater function in it. I've called mine "keyword"

paste following code into the HTML+Hubl(important) section of the module:

<script>$('head').append( '<meta name="keywords" content="">' );</script>

copy the snippet from the text field you've created and paste it below the script. 

It should look like this:

{% for item in module.keyword %}
	{% inline_text field="keyword" value="{{ item }}" %}
{% endfor %}

change the code to:

<script>$('head').append( '<meta name="keywords" content="{% for item in module.keyword %}{ item }}{% endfor %}">' );</script>

now your content editors could easily add a keyword per repeater function... BUT... there are a few small steps left. 

First: you'll have to seperate each keyword from another.
you can do this by adding a "comma" after the item

<script>$('head').append( '<meta name="keywords" content="{% for item in module.keyword %}{ item }},{% endfor %}">' );</script>

Second/Last: you'll have to put the module into the template. There are several ways to achieve this. If you're using the drag&drop template builder simply add it to the footer section of each template. If you're using html templates, copy the module snippet.

best,
Anton

Anton Bujanowski Signature

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Anton
Solution
Recognized Expert

SOLVE

Hi @FabianRichter

to make your content editors lifes easier a possible solution could be:

create a new module(not global) with a single text field(not rich-text) and enable the repeater function in it. I've called mine "keyword"

paste following code into the HTML+Hubl(important) section of the module:

copy the snippet from the text field you've created and paste it below the script. 

It should look like this:

{% for item in module.keyword %}
	{% inline_text field="keyword" value="{{ item }}" %}
{% endfor %}

change the code to:

<script>$('head').append( '<meta name="keywords" content="{% for item in module.keyword %}{ item }}{% endfor %}">' );</script>

now your content editors could easily add a keyword per repeater function... BUT... there are a few small steps left. 

First: you'll have to seperate each keyword from another.
you can do this by adding a "comma" after the item

<script>$('head').append( '<meta name="keywords" content="{% for item in module.keyword %}{ item }},{% endfor %}">' );</script>

Second/Last: you'll have to put the module into the template. There are several ways to achieve this. If you're using the drag&drop template builder simply add it to the footer section of each template. If you're using html templates, copy the module snippet.

best,
Anton

Anton Bujanowski Signature
FabianRichter
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @Anton,
that sounds really good. I will try that and give you a response soon.
Thank you!
Fabian

sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @FabianRichter 

Thank you for the information provided. I'll tag a few of our experts that can share their knowledge with you.

Hey @Anton @Reg @dennisedson could you please share your thoughts with @FabianRichter?

Thank you

Sharon 

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !