CMS Development

coldaker
Participant

2 Smart Global Modules, built identically in the same HTML email template behaving differently

I'm using 2 smart global modules with rich text in a custom HTML email template.

• The first one should dynamically serve up a link to book a meeting with the contact's owner based on list membership.
  • The second serves up the relevant signature for the contact's owner.

Both these modules worked perfectly for the 2 months I was building and testing this workflow, but (of course) the moment I make it live, suddently the 'meetings' module will only display the default text, whereas the 'signature module' works exactly as intended.

They're build almost identically with the only difference being the content being served up within the rich text field.

Any idea why one of these modules would fail, but the other not? FWIW, the 'meetings' module comes before the 'signature' module in terms of where they show up in the body of the email, so I don't think it's some kind of cascading effect. 

Thoughts?

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
lscanlan
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

2 Smart Global Modules, built identically in the same HTML email template behaving differently

Hi @coldaker,

The only thing that really comes to mind would be to make sure if you're previewing the email, to choose a contact to preview the email as. But if one module is working correctly, then I'd guess you're already doing that. Beyond that, I'd probably need to look at the actual modules to understand what's happening. Could you link me to them? Either here or through a direct message, and I'll take a look at what's going on.

Leland Scanlan

HubSpot Developer Support
0 Upvotes
coldaker
Participant

Thanks @lscanlan - I am previewing as a contact, as you suggested.

A bit of an update, for anyone else that may be experiencing this problem:

As I mentioned, these Global Modules are used in a custom HTML email template, where the snippet for the module is pasted directly into the code of the template. In poking around, I noticed that every time a change is made/saved to one of those Global Modules Hubspot is saving that module with a completely new module number. Since the snippet that was copy/pasted into the template is not dynamic, the original module number is no longer valid, thus breaking the connection, so the module can't be found when called.

The fact that the module number changes seems like strange behavior to me, so Support is looking into it more. I'll update this thread when I learn more.

0 Upvotes