Blog, Website & Page Publishing

StewC

what about the "A" DNS record (SiteGround)

SOLVE

I'm ready to begin migrating my tiny site to HubSpot. SiteGround is my DNS provider and my current hosting provider. When I dig into my DNS records, I find

'CNAME' record www.domain.org is an alias of domain.org

'A' record domain.org points to IP xx.xxx.xx.x

...and there's a similar 'A' record for mail, webmail, ftp etc subdomains.

I understand that in migrating, I point CNAME to the new hubspot address.

To get a my root domain to also point to the new hubspot-hosted site I need to do a domain redirect, correct? I'll try SiteGround's Domain Redirect Tool. But...don't I have to do something with the A record? (Couldn't find anything in KB that mentions that record.) Or do I leave as is, it points to that static current IP address within SiteGround, then hits the Domain Redirect? (And leave the A and MX records for email alone.)

[FWIW, I have a very very low volume site, so any inefficiency with Redirect can be tolerated.]

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Teun
Solution
Recognized Expert | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @StewC ,

You can connect your root domain directly with HubSpot instead of using a subdomain, so if you set it up correctly, you won't need a redirect at all:

Schermafbeelding 2022-07-29 om 09.22.54.png

However, if you really want to use a subdomain, you could connect your root domain as a redirect domain in HubSpot and point it to your subdomain:

Schermafbeelding 2022-07-29 om 09.24.57.png

If you connect your root domain to HubSpot, the HubSpot UI will show you the IP address you need to set in your A-record. If you only connect a subdomain, it will show you a CNAME record.

Did my answer solve your issue? Help the community by marking it as the solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
StewC

SOLVE

@Teun, perfect! For a very small entity with only 1 site, etc hosting on the root domain seems like the way to go. Thanks for pointing out the option on the Connect A Domain screen (didn't see that in any KB articles, my bad).

0 Upvotes
Teun

SOLVE

Awesome! Happy I could help.

Did my answer solve your issue? Help the community by marking it as the solution.
0 Upvotes
Teun
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @StewC ,

You can connect your root domain directly with HubSpot instead of using a subdomain, so if you set it up correctly, you won't need a redirect at all:

Schermafbeelding 2022-07-29 om 09.22.54.png

However, if you really want to use a subdomain, you could connect your root domain as a redirect domain in HubSpot and point it to your subdomain:

Schermafbeelding 2022-07-29 om 09.24.57.png

If you connect your root domain to HubSpot, the HubSpot UI will show you the IP address you need to set in your A-record. If you only connect a subdomain, it will show you a CNAME record.