Blog, Website & Page Publishing

Phil_DM2
Contributor | Diamond Partner

Unpublishing Weak Posts and Repurposing Strong Ones

SOLVE

Hello, 

I'm sure this question is brought up often, but I think it's something that can still cause some uncertainty. Our company has been blogging for a few years now, and we've recently gone back and unpublished some outdated, underperforming posts. This was believed to be a helpful SEO strategy since it removes unengaging posts from our blog. However, since doing so a few months back, nothing seems to have changed for our website traffic. We are still receiving almost no organic traffic to our blogs.  

My question is, has anyone seen measurable benefits to unpublishing underperforming content in their blog? 

Additionally, for those who repurpose or update old posts to make them stronger/more current, how often do you do so and has it seen any benefits as well? Do you typically rework older blogs more than producing brand new ones? 

Any help is appreciated. Thank you! 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Nynke_HM
Solution
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Phil_DM2 ,

Yeah, I think your idea for an extended blog post is great. You could link to other blog posts, content offers and other types of content (video's, presentations) within each part of the blog. 

Here are some examples HubSpot gathered that could be inspiring for starting your own:

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/pillar-page-examples

And here's a great article with some background info (but you probably have read this one already): https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/content-marketing-strategy

Have fun creating yours!

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Nynke_HM

SOLVE

Hi @Phil_DM2,

Repurposing content is one of the best practices in Inbound marketing, at the same time it can be very time consuming and difficult. One of the things we did, is publishing our least performing blogs on several external platforms as guest blogs. These platforms usually distribute this kind of content to a selected audience and this helped us generate more referral traffic.

Regarding improving your organic traffic, I would recommend to not only look at your blogs, but also taking your whole website into account. For example generating Pillar pages around important topics and restart your blogging strategy from there. Then, those 'old' blogs could be very helpful to fill those pages and link to new blogs.

Hope these two ideas help you improve your traffic!

Best,

Nynke

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
Phil_DM2

SOLVE

Thank you for the response! I especially agree with updating our topic clusters and getting some stronger pillar pages into place. That's been a challenging area for us since our website doesn't have much copy on a lot of its pages; it's a bit simplistic.

Would you recommend using a lengthy blog post as a pillar page, as opposed to a page from our website (ex. instead of our "Brand Development" webpage as a pillar, we would use a blog post such as something like "A How-To Guide for Building Your Brand Online.")? My understanding is that longer, content-heavy pages are typically best for pillar pages. This might be something for us to work on updating. 

Thanks again for your help. 

0 Upvotes
Nynke_HM
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @Phil_DM2 ,

Yeah, I think your idea for an extended blog post is great. You could link to other blog posts, content offers and other types of content (video's, presentations) within each part of the blog. 

Here are some examples HubSpot gathered that could be inspiring for starting your own:

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/pillar-page-examples

And here's a great article with some background info (but you probably have read this one already): https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/content-marketing-strategy

Have fun creating yours!