Blog, Website & Page Publishing

mmetros
Participant

UTM Parameter Limitations?

SOLVE

I want to understand what limitations HubSpot has when handling UTMs. Does it only track the first conversion campaign on the prospect record? 

I want to track all campaigns that my prospect goes through and append this data onto the prospect's record each time as the most recent campaign along with all its UTMs.

What’s the best practice here?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

We do this by keeping a most recent property on the contact record in Hubspot.  If you are not using solely Hubspot, you could also look into Custom Data Objects (CDOs).  In a Hubspot--> Salesforce config, each time you save the the most recent you can add a record to your custom object to track each touchpoint that the contact interacted with.  You could also use campaigns in the way theory to create a method for weighted attribution to a campaign.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

We do this by keeping a most recent property on the contact record in Hubspot.  If you are not using solely Hubspot, you could also look into Custom Data Objects (CDOs).  In a Hubspot--> Salesforce config, each time you save the the most recent you can add a record to your custom object to track each touchpoint that the contact interacted with.  You could also use campaigns in the way theory to create a method for weighted attribution to a campaign.

IJ

SOLVE

Hi Ben,

Thanks for this.  Could I trouble you to explain a bit more?  If we want to collect all UTM parameters for visits from Original Source.....Visit X, how do we set this up?

I see Original Source and Most Recent but what about everything in the middle?

Thanks!

Ian

0 Upvotes
Ben_M
Key Advisor

SOLVE

For the middle you need to be working beyond Hubspot. In most instances I've done this before, we have had Salesforce connected which allows for custom data objects or object history to be stored.  Basically it's like storing another table attached to a user record so you can see history of that object record.