Blog, Website & Page Publishing

Marissa
Participant

Transferring different language pages to translated pages, will it hurt my ranking?

SOLVE

Our website has a few language options, but we created them as individual pages rather than translations of one page, i.e. we have Homepage - EN, Homepage - ES, Hompage - FR, etc. instead of using HubSpot's "Translate" capability. 

Does anyone have experience transferring the individual pages to translations?  Do you recommend it? It seems especially helpful for  automatic  hreflang tags.

If we do, will it hurt our rankings for those existing pages? Or will Google immediately "accept" the replacement? 

Any info would help!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Mike_Eastwood
Solution
Key Advisor | Gold Partner

Transferring different language pages to translated pages, will it hurt my ranking?

SOLVE

Hi Marissa

You're right, hreflang tags are the best way to handle the translations from Google's point of view.

Just to clarify - do you want to replace a page in a new language - or duplicate the page in a new language?

If you are removing a page then make sure you use Redirects so Google (and humans) get redirected gracefully.

One resource I refer to often is Yoast SEO (a free/paid WordPress plugin). They've written some excellent content on multi-language sites: https://yoast.com/tag/multilingual-seo/

Hope this helps

Mike

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Mike_Eastwood
Solution

SOLVE

Hi Marissa

You're right, hreflang tags are the best way to handle the translations from Google's point of view.

Just to clarify - do you want to replace a page in a new language - or duplicate the page in a new language?

If you are removing a page then make sure you use Redirects so Google (and humans) get redirected gracefully.

One resource I refer to often is Yoast SEO (a free/paid WordPress plugin). They've written some excellent content on multi-language sites: https://yoast.com/tag/multilingual-seo/

Hope this helps

Mike

Marissa
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Mike,

We would like to replace our existing separate language pages by using the translate function in HubSpot.  So get rid of the indivudal language pages we have and just make them translations from our English page.

createTranslation.png

Hope that clarifies things!

Thanks,

Marissa

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Marissa,

I wanted to pull in a few subject matter experts to see if they have any advice on this. 

@jrendell@Mike_Eastwood@Tanya do you have any advice for @Marissa?

Thanks,
Jenny

0 Upvotes