Blog, Website & Page Publishing

karengerberry
Teilnehmer/-in

To Have Blog Post Comment or Not To Have Blog Comments

lösung

I noticed recently that some of the Hubspot blog posts do not have comments. What are thoughts about comment sections on blogs for 2018?

And are you using Disqus if you have comments?

0 Upvotes
2 Akzeptierte Lösungen
shearn
Lösung
Autorität

lösung

I don't really have a strong opinion for or against comments on blog posts. I think it all comes down to the topic the post and the function of the blog.  Overall, I believe the point of having a comments section is to provide a value-add for the poster and the audience. 

I find opinion pieces and open-ended topics that may have many points of view are the ones that could be open to comments.

From there it all comes down to how freely you want people to post comments and how you manage comments (if you have the time and resources to do so). Some may negatively reflect on you or your business (not all comments are going to be good! The trolls will feed).

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

Babel_Izzy
Lösung
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende | Elite Partner

lösung

I agree with @shearn, it also depends if your current posts are getting comments. 

We don't ususally get comments on our posts, but on the very rare occasion it does happen, it's amazing! I see no harm in keeping the option there should anyone want to add their thoughts, however I'd probably try to boost engagement on social media shares of the post instead.

I've seen a few companies share an article on LinkedIn or Facebook, and then post a series of questions or further information in the comments. This should also boost the post further up people's newsfeeds and might encourage them to add their opinions.

Use the human FOMO alarm to your advantage, typically in social situations we veer towards a herd mentality, just the presence of that x number of comments on the post will encourage more views (and comments)!

Hope that helps, but just give me a shout if you have any further questions.

Izzy

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

3 Antworten
jennysowyrda
Community-Manager/-in
Community-Manager/-in

lösung

@Babel_Izzy and @shearn what are your thoughts on blog comments? 

0 Upvotes
shearn
Lösung
Autorität

lösung

I don't really have a strong opinion for or against comments on blog posts. I think it all comes down to the topic the post and the function of the blog.  Overall, I believe the point of having a comments section is to provide a value-add for the poster and the audience. 

I find opinion pieces and open-ended topics that may have many points of view are the ones that could be open to comments.

From there it all comes down to how freely you want people to post comments and how you manage comments (if you have the time and resources to do so). Some may negatively reflect on you or your business (not all comments are going to be good! The trolls will feed).

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.
Babel_Izzy
Lösung

lösung

I agree with @shearn, it also depends if your current posts are getting comments. 

We don't ususally get comments on our posts, but on the very rare occasion it does happen, it's amazing! I see no harm in keeping the option there should anyone want to add their thoughts, however I'd probably try to boost engagement on social media shares of the post instead.

I've seen a few companies share an article on LinkedIn or Facebook, and then post a series of questions or further information in the comments. This should also boost the post further up people's newsfeeds and might encourage them to add their opinions.

Use the human FOMO alarm to your advantage, typically in social situations we veer towards a herd mentality, just the presence of that x number of comments on the post will encourage more views (and comments)!

Hope that helps, but just give me a shout if you have any further questions.

Izzy