Blog, Website & Page Publishing

Emma-Jane
Participante | Partner nivel Gold

Subdirectories

resolver

Hi there 

I have been scouring the community for information around subdirectories and subdomains. While I am familiar with the debate, is there a reason HubSpot does not host subdirectories (excuse me if this is a technically silly question)? 

Are only subdomains hosted inside the HubSpot tools? Or if subdirectories are hosted on which tiering and tools is this so? 

TIA

1 Soluciones aceptada
danmoyle
Solución
Miembro estimable | Partner nivel Elite

Subdirectories

resolver

Hi @Emma-Jane. Great question. One I had to research back when I set up a Wordpress site and had an old-school IT professional asking me all about subdirectory versus subdomain set-up.

Here's how I understand it: Instead of the old way of building websites and using folders and FTP, we build on a more modern feeling WYSIWYG website. You can, in HubSpot, still create paths like yourdomain.com/blog when your site is completely hosted in HubSpot.

We do that at Impulse Creative with paths like blog, thanks, learn... quite a few.

danmoyle_0-1633529931731.png

But when you're hosting your main site somewhere else, you can create subdomains for these to build within the HubSpot tool and point those subdmains hosted elsewhere to the HubSpot assets. 

So to me, in a way, when your site is completely hosted in HubSpot, your URL structure can feel like subdirectories. We just don't need to create them in the old way and think about them as folders. 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

2 Respuestas 2
Emma-Jane

Subdirectories

resolver

Hi @danmoyle 

Thanks for such a concise response. That makes a lot of sense to me. 

I think effectively what I wanted to know is when your site is hosted outside of HubSpot, there is no way to utilise subdirectories as the HubSpot suite of tools uses subdomains solely. 

This is a question we actually get asked a lot about from our clients and can often be a source of debate (as I'm sure you've experienced yourself). 

Thanks again. 

danmoyle
Solución

Subdirectories

resolver

Hi @Emma-Jane. Great question. One I had to research back when I set up a Wordpress site and had an old-school IT professional asking me all about subdirectory versus subdomain set-up.

Here's how I understand it: Instead of the old way of building websites and using folders and FTP, we build on a more modern feeling WYSIWYG website. You can, in HubSpot, still create paths like yourdomain.com/blog when your site is completely hosted in HubSpot.

We do that at Impulse Creative with paths like blog, thanks, learn... quite a few.

danmoyle_0-1633529931731.png

But when you're hosting your main site somewhere else, you can create subdomains for these to build within the HubSpot tool and point those subdmains hosted elsewhere to the HubSpot assets. 

So to me, in a way, when your site is completely hosted in HubSpot, your URL structure can feel like subdirectories. We just don't need to create them in the old way and think about them as folders. 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/