Blog, Website & Page Publishing

hollykeller
Participant

Short, readable, branded redirecting URL

SOLVE

I am new to HubSpot. My old CMS allowed you to create a custom short URL for a page that would redirect to the full URL, which was very useful for print campaigns. For example, a short URL like website.com/samples would redirect to the true URL of website.com/industrial/products/request-a-free-sample. Is this possible with HubSpot?

Note - the social URL shortener is not ideal because it won't look like our true domain and it won't be easily readable/memorable for print use. 

1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @hollykeller

You actually achieve the outcome you descirbe using URL redirection in HubSpot. It's not an ideal use of the technology but it would allow you to forward traffic from one short URL on your domain, to another longer one. 

Using Bitly is a great solution for replacing the default shortened domain with a more branded one, and you can create customised short URLs on the Bitly platform. I use Bitl and a short domain for this purpose. The domain you use with Bitly, however, can not be the same as your main website domain of course. 

Hope this helps

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13
Rebrandly_Fay
Participant

SOLVE

Hello @hollykeller ! I wanted to invite you to check out Rebrandly to create your short, memorable URLs. We are in the process of launching a Hubspot integration that will allow you to use these links in your social media posts and you can try it out now (see instructions below). With Rebrandly you can also create corresponding QR codes right in our tool. There are a ton of added benefits beyond just the short URL, including analytics and click data, and with our paid plans, you can even edit the destination URL of your redirect after it's been published (this is so useful!). 

Rebrandly has a free option that allows you to configure one custom domain and a limited number of links per month. If you would like to try Rebrandly and our new HubSpot integration, see below: 

With our free tier, you are allowed to have one custom domain and it's easy to set up a new branded domain or configure an existing domain to be the base URL for your branded links. 

• Next, go to our Marketplace listing for the Hubspot integration and click "Download" -  https://rebrandly.com/integrations/hubspot
    • The process will walk you through authorizing your Hubspot account and then you will be ready to go! 

You can now use Rebrandly to create short branded links and post to your social channels directly through our interface using the Hubspot connector. I love this because I was so frustrated by Hubspot shortening our links and causing them to look generic on our social channels, but I wanted to be able to track the social posts in Hubspot. 

This is a new integration, so if you try it out and have feedback, please reach out. Thank you! 

0 Upvotes
asweetgem
Participant

SOLVE

I've created the idea for this and hope to get this implement. Here's the idea:

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Create-shortened-vanity-url-without-bit-ly/idi-p/3928...

Rebrandly_Fay
Participant

SOLVE

Hello @asweetgem ! I am happy to share that we have just launched the Rebrandly integration with HubSpot in the HubSpot App Marketplace! Here's the page where you can learn more and watch a quick demo of how the integration works: https://rebrandly.com/HubSpot

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @Rebrandly_Fay thank you for sharing in our Community!

That is awesome, you have an integration with HubSpot. Do you mind providing more details on some user cases on how to use the integration with HubSpot?

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Thank you @asweetgem  for sharing your idea here! I just updvoted!

Kindly,

Pam

0 Upvotes
dansilver1005
Participant

SOLVE

Totally agree. It would be great to setup a branded vanity url through HubSpot.

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @dansilver1005At this time it is not possible to create shortened vanity URLs within HubSpot. In this case, you would utilize a 3rd party application such as bit.ly to generate these links for your HubSpot hosted URLs!

I would highly recommend you to please post this idea at our ideas forum (here).

Our product team, who monitors the forum regularly, can read your specific use case and understand why this would be a useful functionality or change. It also helps other customers facing the same issue to advocate for its implementation on your behalf by upvoting on the thread as well.

Kindly,

Pam

Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @hollykeller

You actually achieve the outcome you descirbe using URL redirection in HubSpot. It's not an ideal use of the technology but it would allow you to forward traffic from one short URL on your domain, to another longer one. 

Using Bitly is a great solution for replacing the default shortened domain with a more branded one, and you can create customised short URLs on the Bitly platform. I use Bitl and a short domain for this purpose. The domain you use with Bitly, however, can not be the same as your main website domain of course. 

Hope this helps

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
panadanny
Participant

SOLVE

Any chance that the implementation of branded shortened URLs will be introduced natively into HubSpot? We're transitioning from Hootsuite where it is really simple to create a what they call "vanity URL". I'm only asking because I want to avoid having to create a Bitly account for the company.

LizaW
Participant

SOLVE

This would be a great option for HubSpot,  its the only platform im aware of which does not offer this solution and from a markerting perspective is an essential element of the process. It would be great if we could push HubSpot to produce this sooner or know if it is inthe pipeline? 

bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @hollykeller. You'll want to review the third bullet point in this article - you'll be able to accomplish what you're looking for, after purchasing a branded short domain on Bitly and connecting that to your HubSpot portal. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
0 Upvotes
hollykeller
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you. I did see that option. So it sounds like HubSpot does not offer what I described?

Would the branded short URL from Bitly allow me to fully customize URLs as I described (e.g. web.site/samples), or will it be a random set of characters like many URL shorteners I see?

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Correct, that is not a HubSpot offering. 

Not sure about the BSD configuration - you'd have to reach out to Bitly with those specific questions, if no one else here can provide input. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
0 Upvotes