Blog, Website & Page Publishing

ToddW

Root Domain page returning "This page is unavailable."

SOLVE

Hello,

I have found that when navigating to my domain root, it is returning "This page is unavailable." I had a language set for the page, and also have the "enable language specific redirects" enabled, and a multi-language variant published as well.

To get the page to load again, I removed the page language setting and removed the language slug as well. Now however, the additional langauge variant pages no longer show as available or load if navigating to them using the language slug added to the URL. 

What am I missing here?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
ToddW
Solution

SOLVE

Hi Jennifer, Okay, I think I fixed it. I had both the language redirect and the "Use Prefix in Slug" for the domain enabled. I disabled both, reset the language to the page to English and the root domain now loads. I went back and re-enabled the language redirect and it still works fine. I think it was the "Use Prefix in Slug" that was causing the problem. Now both the EN and the ZH version drops down as a child of the root. Before the root (parent) listing was the EN version and ZH was the child. 

ToddW_0-1681966710834.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Jnix284
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ToddW  can you share a link to your website that is working where the multi-language is configured (other than the root domain)?

I believe the issue is caused by the first toggle, to create the language specific redirects, which you shouldn't need, but you do need to set a language for the page (and of course for the variants).

The language specific redirects adds a parameter ?hsLang= which will cause your root domain not to work if you type it in directly. Because you're using the multi-variant pages, you shouldn't need this setting.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

0 Upvotes
ToddW

SOLVE

Hi Jennifer, Here is the URL: https://www.northamericachinacouncil.com. There is a EN version and a ZH version of the pages. Right now, the homepage does not have a lang set, so the ZH version does not work.

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

SOLVE

hi @ToddW  thansk for the link - have you tried enabling the EN language without enabling the language redirects?

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

0 Upvotes
ToddW
Solution

SOLVE

Hi Jennifer, Okay, I think I fixed it. I had both the language redirect and the "Use Prefix in Slug" for the domain enabled. I disabled both, reset the language to the page to English and the root domain now loads. I went back and re-enabled the language redirect and it still works fine. I think it was the "Use Prefix in Slug" that was causing the problem. Now both the EN and the ZH version drops down as a child of the root. Before the root (parent) listing was the EN version and ZH was the child. 

ToddW_0-1681966710834.png

Jnix284

SOLVE

I'm glad you could resolve it @ToddW , thank you for sharing the resolution here as well!

0 Upvotes